Users who belong to a distro unable to open Sharepoint file sent to them

Copper Contributor

Users who belong to a certain distro are unable to open a file shared to them via link from sharepoint.

why is this happening?

clipboard_image_1.png

8 Replies
Surprised it let you do that but distribute groups won’t work with specific people option. You would need to use anyone link or everyone in the org option when sending to a distro.

@Chris Webb 

Thank you for that response. are you able to send me a link referencing what you have said? 

which option are you talking about?

Thank you

clipboard_image_0.png

@ronomatic 

@Chris Webbis talking about Anonymous access - Anyone with the link....

However before you do that could you ask the user to try opening the link in incognito mode.. most of the time that works...

Thanks

Robin Nishad

@Robin Nishad 

I started out with "Anonymous Access - Anyone with the link" first the switched to " Internal-Only people in your org" 

I dont know how i feel about asking users to switch to incognito mode to open this file.

also the link comes in their email and they click it and it opens up the browser automatically. you want them to copy the link then place it in a browser running in incognito mode?

Thank you

Most of the time the problem is users are signed in with hotmail accounts etc. in their browser and when they hit these links it tries logging in as that and thus denied access. If you use the "Anyone with a link" option, you don't have to worry about this. However the file is obviously less secure. There is now an in between option where you can set a password on an anonymous link if that makes sense for you.

Robin's suggestion is a work around for those users that have the "I'm logged in with another microsoft account" issue. Doing incognito forces them to login with their proper account which is usually what that screen you shared means since if it was an internal account that could access the resource you would have gotten an access request screen instead.

@Chris Webb Thank you guys allot.

I currently have it set to everyone with a link can access but some people are still getting that message.

I am waiting for a call from microsoft now about this issue.

Odd... I've never seen an anyone link prevent anyone from accessing it.

@Chris Webb I got on a call with microsoft and the issue was that the users were sending with the wrong link settings. aparently "anyone with the link" works better with external users

I had to use the "people in *my organization*" link and that worked.

Thank you all for the help. this issue is officially closed.