Users cannot create alerts

Steel Contributor

We have a site with multiple folders.

We shared those folders with users (that are not members of the site) and gave them edit permissions.

Users can collaborate normally. But they cannot use the "Alert Me" feature. When they try, they are denied access. Regardless of whether the file is a folder or a file. We tried multiple files and multiple levels of subfolders to no avail.

Members of the site - who also have edit permissions - can create alerts without a problem.

How can I enable invited users to create alerts for themselves?

4 Replies

I'm kind of new to sharepoint, so if I understand this right:

There are some people with view rights to your sharepoint, but they can't create alerts. 

There is a checkbox to create alerts in the Permission Levels. 

Is it checked on for people with view rights to your site? 

Kind regards. 

I hope this helps. 

Everyone with whom folders are shared, are granted the edit role. No exception.

Edit role has create alert permissions checked.

Try using Grant access, or adding them directly to libraries / folders using advanced permissions options (on details pane > Manage access link). IF they are added to the site so they end up in the user table of the site collection then they should then be able to setup alerts as long as they are authenticated.

If you were using Sharing links, these depending on the ones you use, don't use normal SharePoint user authentication so they do not allow Alerts, since you require to be a full blown user in the org in order to setup alerting.

We are using the grant access functionality and the users we grant have Office 365 E1 licenses and belong to the same tenant.

grafik.png

While green is able to create alerts, red is not.

They both have edit (bearbeiten) permissions.

When I show the advanced permissions, there is a difference though:

grafik.png

Here red has collaborate (Mitwirken) permissions and is a user.

Green has edit (bearbeiten) permissions and is a domain group.

I don't know why red only has mitwirken, although on the grant acces flyout (see first picture), they have edit permissions.

When I look at the permission roles, Mitwirken has the alert permissions set. We never changed the default roles.

grafik.png