Users are unable to share links with external users and request files

Steel Contributor

We have the following setting for the external sharing on both SharePoint and one-drive:-

SPONEDr.png

and we are restricting external users sharing with a specif group of people only as follow:-

ExternalSharing.png

but if a user who is allowed to share with external users, try to share a file with an external user inside his one-drive he will get this error:-

sendlink.png

also when the user try to request a file he will get this error:-

sopgerrrrrrrrrr.png

i am not sure why the user is getting these errors although i have all the setting correctly set. is this correct? or i am missing something?

6 Replies

That Send link screenshot is just saying the type of sharing link is internal, so when adding an external person, it's informing you it won't work, so it's expected.

Share1.png

Changing the link to Specific people does the trick

Share 2a.png

Share2.png

Hi @john john ,

On the Who can share outside of your organization setting, it looks like you have the wrong box checked off.  You don't have the one for anonymous links.  Without that checked off anyone links will be blocked.

2020-02-28_8-13-38.png

Hope that helps!  :)

@john john  You can also look at this setting in Microsoft 365 Admin Center if this is about Modern Team Sites with Office 365 Groups.

ExternalSharing.JPG

ExternalSharing2.JPG

@Cian AllnerThanks and what about the File Request? why it is not working?

@systemsmavenso will this fix the File Request or the Sharing link?

@john john 

Yes, file request requires anyone/anonymous links.  It's kinda frustrating, I'd like to enable that feature for my users but we have a policy against anyone links.

And the default sharing link is an anyone link as well.