User's cannot update email field in profile.

Deleted
Not applicable

I just had a customer reach out to me that got the Delve Profile interface and now their users are unable to update their email addresses. Things to point out. This customer is on SharePoint Plan 1 only, and they are only using cloud accounts, not syncing with AD. In the SharePoint profile setting the email is set to allow the users to edit, but they cannot update it in the profile page and they cannot edit it in the account settings page. My guess is this was a bug that was easily missed since the majority of customers are either syncing with AD or are using Exchange Online as well. Is there more to this story? I plan on opening a ticket tomorrow.

Oh and before anyone recommends it I know the SharePont Admin's can go into each user's profile and update the email address accordingly, but that is simply not feasible or user friendly at this time.

4 Replies
IMHO this is a bug, a user should not be able to edit his/her e-mail in Office 365...what a user can do is create additional alias and decide what e-mail is going to be the main one....on the other hand, Office 365 Admins could potentially change this e-mail address, but not advisable though...best option for your customers is to create and use alias if they want to change their e-mail

Juan I am guessing you meant not a bug. Just to reiterate they only have SharePoint Online Plan 1 and do not synchronize AD. This means that there is no email even set, their account is created and email is blank. There is no where in the GUI to add an email account, even when creating the user, except by going into the SharePoint User Profile after the user has been created. They have been using SharePoint Online for 3+ years where the users have been able to go in and adjust as needed. This is definitley an edge case customer. I could see not allowing it if emails were set, but that should be able to be managed still like you can today via the profile settings. On your recommendation of creating an alias how exactly would that work without exchange being a part of this service? I have clicked all over Office 365 admin center, how the customer manages their users, and see no way to set an alias. I didnt expect to find one either. Maybe we could set all of their emails with PowerShell but that adds overhead and the customer would prefer not to use that method.

Ey Cory, sorry but I misunderstood your question :-(...if customer has only SPO, then it's not possible to create alias or anything since exchange is not provided...what I'm not sure is if even in this scenario is possible to modify deafault e-mail for an user since the e-mail is the mean to get authenticated in Office 365. What I have also learnr from working with other services is that even if you don't have EXO license assigned, a kind of "fake" inbox is created for your user (I have seen this with Teams)

No problem. I have submitted a ticket for it. It is one of those things that I believe was just overlooked or of course a ploy by Microsoft to get a customer to continue their Office 365 journey :). I mean the email is basically blank so its not even copying in the UPN, so thats why they were always able to update it. I am hoping its something with an easy fix on Microsoft's side.