Use the Quick Links web part to put your content front and center

Microsoft

Don’t bury your lead - put important stuff right up front for your site visitors. The Quick Links web part allows you to add visibility to the most important content you create – with the ability to adjust and curate as you go.

We’re pleased to announce a small but important improvement we’ve made to the Quick Links web part.  You can now adjust the image that represents your link inside Quick Links cards.  This often-requested update will be available to use in this web part on all modern pages.

Let’s say you’ve been using Quick Links on your modern team site home page to showcase important team resources – it might look something like this:quick links.png

If you want to swap out the default images with something that's more visually engaging, or more appropriate in the context of your site, find the tile you want to change, and select Edit:

quick links edit.png

This brings up the edit pane, where you can change the link's title, or its image:

quick links edit pane.pngYou can upload an image, or use one that's already in your site.  You might wind up with something that looks like this:

quick links new images.png

We hope that this feature will help you create more beautiful, engaging SharePoint sites.  As always, we would love to hear your feedback.  How can we continue to improve this web part, and all our modern web parts, to best meet your needs now and in the future?  

48 Replies

An UI change we're rolling out is you can choose from two type of layouts. The "compact" layout displays all links at the same time in compact cards. The "filmstrip" looks like the previous carousel rollout where you can flip to previous/next pages by arrow buttons or through pagination, also with keyboard arrow keys.

Thanks for the info. But, wondering which update you are referring too, as I've tested my page with Quick links, and adding QL to other pages still shows the same links (not an instance). I've checked the O365 roadmap for udpates being rolled out, but could not locate one relating to Quick links or this per instance storage. 

Hello,

Behind the scene its using hiddent list to store the links.

By doing a manual entry in that hidden list link is not getting displayed on 'Quick links' webpart, any idea why its not getting displayed??

List entry is identical with the one which is added through 'Quick links' webpart.

Did you notice that you cannot use search to find the text of the quick links?

Update April 2019: I was wrong, in fact, the text of the quick links is findable. My conclusion was wrong because I tested with quick links on the home page. In fact, any text or quick links that you add on the home page are not findable with the search box of the site (this is incomprehensible!). However you can find the content of the home page (text + quick links) when you go to the organization level search.

This may be the wrong thread for this, but here goes:

Why is "/?web=1" being added to the end of URLs I paste into Quick Links? In some cases, this is actually breaking the link as the receiving server doesn't know what to do with that parameter or isn't expecting it...

no clue. I also sometimes get csf=1

We actually no longer use the hidden list for quick links, the list of links is stored in the page the webpart is added to.

We're working on a way to create shared lists of links (which will again use a list)....but until that time updates to the list won't do anything to the webpart.

Thank you for reporting this issue.

We updated quick links to fix an issue where files were being downloaded to user's machines by appending the parameter "?web=1" (which tells SharePoint to open the files in a web browser).

It looks like we're being a bit aggressive and adding it to all URLs (not only SharePoint URLs).

We'll get this fixed.

Hi, when I change the Quick Links image, the new image is getting enlarged to fit the Quick Links card making the image blurry if I use a small size (68 height) and chops off the top and bottom of the image if I make it bigger (250 width). How can I find the recommended sizes for the Quick Links images? I also tried editing the images with design renditions but it doesn't appear to pulling from those.

I just use any square image with at least 200px on each side.
Can we make these quick links open in a new window/tab?

We actually don't support that option in our modern parts, instead trying to create a more consistent experience across all parts/pages. If the content is on the same site, it opens in the same window. If it's on another site/external/etc. it opens in a new tab.

PLEASE can you give the option to Open in a New Tab!

It's an option for text links, so why not Quick Links??

It's very frustrating having to go back and forth for certain links. And if you're saying it should automatically open external links in new tabs it doesn't for us.

When linking to a Document, for certain file types (e.g. PDF) a default image is selected. Is it possible to change these default images to our own or must we change it manually every time?

John,

We have a link in another site that is not opening in a new tab. Any ideas? 

Microsoft,

Great job on improving Quick Links but I beg of you to fix 1 thing.  Please allow us to choose if the link should open in place or new window.  As I develop extremely useful User Interfaces for business processes and data collection, Quick Links are the perfect solution for creating buttons etc.

However,  Users end up with hundreds of browser windows open because each click of a Quick Link opens a whole new browser window.

Thanks for the feedback Larry. The logic should be - link on the same site opens in the same window. Link to another site/domain/etc opens in a new tab. This is the behavior we're trying to consistently create with all our links in modern experiences (going away from author manual choice to a more consistent experience for all users).

Originally I was able to use the Quick Links Web part to add a link to a folder within the Document Folder.  Now I am unable to do so.  I can only create a link to a file or a page.  What am I doing wrong?

What image dimensions work best for filmstrip please. 

This page has information on image sizing for lots of different web parts - quick links included.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/image-sizing-and-scaling-in-sharepoint-modern-pages-dc51006...