Uploading files to a document library closes open files

Copper Contributor

Hey all, first time posting and I appreciate any help I can find.  I've been trying to search through what knowledge I can find about this issue, but I've found pretty much nothing, unless it's related to check-in/check-out.  Basically, my users found that while working in a document library, PDFs kept closing and being replaced by other, unrelated files.  It would begin randomly, but then continue to swap out files every 6 seconds or so.  After some investigation, we realized it was being caused by another user uploading files to the document library.  It can be incredibly inconvenient to users so I'm trying to figure out if this is something I can correct administratively.  Thanks for any help!

1 Reply

@alan_mccannon,

Welcome!  I have a few questions:

1. You mentioned checkin/checkout.  Is the library set to require checkout for editing?  
  2. In what application is the PDF open?  In Adobe in browser?  Adobe client?  Word?
  3. Does this happen to any other files besides PDFs?  Any other libraries exhibit this behavior?
  4. Does this happen cross-browser?
  5. Not that it should matter, but is this a classic or modern site?  Modern library?

I tested this basically and I clicked on a PDF in a doc lib and had it open in browser.  I changed the PDF and uploaded it again via another browser tab and the tab with the PDF open remained there.  How is this different to your users?