SOLVED

Upload a downloaded repo and cannot get past No refs in common and none specified; doing nothing.

Iron Contributor

Hi

I want to utilise a Beau Cameron's: Sp-starter-kit repo for a client so I won't be able to simply clone it for obvious reasons. However, I am happy to share some changes and bug fixes to the deployment scripts  I have made already.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to get passed the error shown below and that's even after deleting the .git folder and running the git init command . Could somebody explain what is going on please.

λ git init                                                                                                        
Initialized empty Git repository in D:/Dev/Clients/Myclient/PnP-Starter-Kit-Non-FR-master/.git/                       

D:\Dev\Clients\MyClient\PnP-Starter-Kit-Non-FR-master -> origin (master -> origin)                                    
λ git remote add origin https://xxxx.visualstudio.com/The%20Project%20SP%20Starter%20Kit%20Non%20FR/_git/The%20Project%20SP%20Starter%20Kit%20Non%20FR                                                                                  

D:\Dev\Clients\MyClient\PnP-Starter-Kit-Non-FR-master -> origin (master -> origin)                                    
λ git push -u origin --all                                                                                        
No refs in common and none specified; doing nothing.                                                              
Perhaps you should specify a branch such as 'master'.                                                             
Everything up-to-date                                                                                             

λ git push -u origin master --all                                                                                 
fatal: --all can't be combined with refspecs                                                                      

λ                                                                                                                 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Daniel Westerdale (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Actually I figured it. Hope someone else finds this useful

Ensured my untracked files are tracked 

λ git add -A .

Performed a local commit

λ git commit -m "first non-FR version" -a

Now push the files to my remote repo . Notice the missing --All parameter as this caused an error:

fatal: --all can't be combined with refspecs.  Could somebody please explain. 

λ git push -u origin master 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Daniel Westerdale (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Actually I figured it. Hope someone else finds this useful

Ensured my untracked files are tracked 

λ git add -A .

Performed a local commit

λ git commit -m "first non-FR version" -a

Now push the files to my remote repo . Notice the missing --All parameter as this caused an error:

fatal: --all can't be combined with refspecs.  Could somebody please explain. 

λ git push -u origin master 

View solution in original post