Update to forms in Modern Lists, including custom forms with PowerApps - coming soon!

Microsoft

We are excited to tell you that we are updating how forms in SharePoint modern lists and libraries are displayed, and you will also soon be able to create custom forms using Microsoft PowerApps for SharePoint lists.

We used to navigate to a new page whenever the new, edit or view form was displayed for a modern list. We are moving these forms into a panel that appears on the right hand side of the page (left hand side for right to left languages). This change makes for a much quicker experience for adding new items, as well as viewing and changing existing items in your list. You can still get a link to an item (or the new item form) by using the "Copy link" button that's been added to the panel.

Forms Panel for Modern ListsForms Panel for Modern Lists

The updates to panels will be coming to all of the First Release users and tenants within the next two weeks.

We are also very happy to announce that the ability to customize forms for modern lists using PowerApps will be coming to our First Release tenants. This capability was announced at Ignite 2017 and was mentioned in an earlier blog post around reinventing business processes. Please see that blog post for more details.

Differently from the panels, custom forms with PowerApps will be available for First Release tenants (not users), since once a custom form is set for a list, it will take effect for all users in that tenant that use that list.

54 Replies

Hello Kerem,

When will the PowerApps customizing options be available?

I see the new pop-up forms which are a very welcome additional but I have no options to customize with PowerApps.

Thanks,

Jordan Burns

Hi everyone,

We just added support for being able to write to managed metadata (taxonomy) columns in custom forms in First Release tenants. Please give it a try, and let us know your thoughts.

See this post:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Flow/Set-values-for-Managed-Metadata-aka-Taxonomy-c...

Hi @Jordan Burns, I suspect you are a First Release User (who have the feature for showing list forms in a panel), and not part of a First Release Tenant. The customize forms is a tenant wide setting, since we want to be able to consistently show all of the users of a list the same form. 

We expect to start rolling out to Production tenants in by end of November, or early December.

List forms are working great but I already noticed some problems:

1. External users get Error message if PowerApps forms are enabled
  2. If PowerApp form is closed and user presses "(i) - details pane" it presents the "old" form
    • from my perspective PowerApps form should always be displayed if enabled and user should not get to use classic form

Hi @Aleš Šavli, thank you for giving the new custom forms a try! We really appreciate it.

You caught one of the known issues regarding external users. PowerApps team is working on adding support for them at the moment, but for now external users will continue to get an error message.

Regarding not allowing customers to make changes using the standard forms, you can go into Advanced Settings under List Settings page, and disable "Quick Edit". This will remove the "Quick Edit" button from the ribbon, and additionally, it will make the details pane always show in read-only mode, and won't allow your users to make changes through these two routes. 

The forms panel is now live with 50% of our production customers. We plan to take it to 100% on Wednesday. 

We are also currently rolling out the changes to support multi-value choice, people and lookup fields, being able to write to managed metadata columns, including multi-value managed metadata columns, as well as providing read-only access to attachments this week. By Wednesday all of our customers should have these capabilities in PowerApps.

This will prepare us to start rolling out the "Customize forms with PowerApps" feature starting next week.

As promised, forms panel, and support for multi-value fields, writing to taxonomy fields, and read-only attachments are now available for all customers. 

We are still planning to start rolling out custom forms next Monday (12/4).

Hi Kerem,

This feature is awesome. Just wondering if you have an estimate when the powerapps custom forms can be seen from the sharepoint mobile app.

Regards,

Alfredo

10% of production tenants should now have the "Customize forms" button for their custom lists!

The plan is to extend this to half of production by Wednesday!

Thank you @Alfredo Avendano! We are still working on this, and I'll try to get an estimate for you by next week.

Hello @Kerem Yuceturk

when instead the team suppose to complete the work to make possible to upload attachments with custom forms? I have a little project waiting for this feature.

However, what I can say is that yours is a great work: thanks a lot.

Marco

We are now at 50% of tenants in production for custom forms with PowerApps. We plan to go to all customers next week.

Thank you @Marco Mangiante! The PowerApps team is hard at work to allow uploading of attachments.

Our latest estimate is end of January to early February.

"Customize Forms" button is now available for all users in modern lists!

Our customers who are using vanity domains may not see the button pending support for Open ID Connect functionality for their environments. This support is expected by January latest. Please feel free to send me a private message with your tenant details if you are not seeing the button so we can investigate and get back to you.

Hello Kerem,

Is there any plans to support lists with multiple content types? When opening a list with multiple content types all of my fields across the content types are dumped into a single PowerApp Screen. I was trying to see if I could make multiple screens and use a rule based upon the content type to select the correct screen but haven't had any luck.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jordan Burns

Hi @Jordan Burns, at the moment we don't have support for generating different pages for different content types on the list. We do, however, make the content type available as a column type so you can make changes to your form the way you want, but that leaves the work to you to make it happen. It should be doable with some work by showing/hiding the right columns based on what content type is picked. I'll try to get a sample app out with @Audrie Gordon from the PowerApps team to demonstrate it!

@Kerem Yuceturk

Is there a reason the pop-up form window wouldn't work on some lists? It seems sometimes I get a pop-up and sometimes I don't but I can't seem to figure out why it doesn't work. For example my list with multiple content types some of the content types pop-up in the form while some load to a new page. Is this something I should put in a support ticket for?

Hi @Jordan Burns, we are also aware of some reports from inside Microsoft that we are investigating that may be related. To be safe, please start a support ticket if you can, and feel free to let me know via private message where it goes so i can try to help.