UPDATE: Support for Structured/Managed Navigation enabled on Modern Pages in Classic Team Sites

Microsoft

Hi everyone! Thank you for the feedback around wanting to move to the “modern” team site experiences, and needing support for structured/managed navigation. We’re pleased to announce that we have addressed this issue and will be rolling out the fix to the worldwide production environment in the coming days. Thank you for your patience – and to the community for helping us identify some issues during the initial First Release preview!

With this update if you have enabled publishing on a classic team site, your structured or managed navigation will now render correctly in the modern experience (both global and current navigation), including any scoped or audience-targeted links. We haven’t pulled all the classic settings into the modern panels yet, so when you need to edit the navigation elements, the edit link will direct you to the classic settings page.

Navigation settings on a classic team site:

areanavigationsettings.png

Now render correctly on a modern page:

managednav-global.png

Additionally, subsites will correctly inherit from the parent web when structural navigation is used.

Parent site:

structurednav-global.png

Subsite:

structurednav-subsiteinherit.png

We hope this unblocks you as you move to the modern user experience (UX). Try it out, and let us know if you have any questions. Thanks, Sean!

112 Replies

Hi Sean - It appears that our 'grandchild' links are rendering when in the view of the library, but NOT in the modern page.  When can we expect this functionality to appear consistently throughout the system?

Hi Adrienne - you beat my announcement! The fix to support L3 links in managed nav horizontal orientation had to be made in two different code bases. It might have still been rolling through. I'll check a test tenant, but let me know if you don't see it next week. Thanks!

The grandchild links seem to show up, but when we try to use them, we are just taken to the 'child' site.  We seem to have halfway there!  We desperately want to upgrade to the New Experience lists and libraries, but this navigation issue is SERIOUSLY holding us back.  Help!

We are having a simlar issue.  Submenus are always directing users to the URL of the site above.  For example using the new Managed Metadata option with the menu, we may have Dept...HR...Benefits, but it take to the HR link for this and all other submenu items.

Same here, in IE Level 3 just takes us to Level 2

in other browsers Level 3 items are not clickable. there is no link underneath

Please don't tructuate menu items!

I know Microsoft are a huge fan of the ... but in a menu this really should not happen.

I currently see both options, so no trunctuation does seem possible!

Would it be possible to have the submenus fly out a little snappier?

I always see users click the headers since the menus just take that bit too long to appear.

menu4.PNGmenu5.PNG

@Philine von Guretzky, I agree completely -- menu item truncation and and the considerably slower interaction time with the dropdowns and flyouts make the current Managed navigation experience in Modern mode considerably less useful and pleasant than in Classic mode. If we can regain the ability to utilize CSS to customize the appearance of the dropdowns/flyouts, we would, of course, have control over this. Short of that, at least eliminating truncation would be preferable.

One of the main reasons to go to Managed navigation in large sites is the lightning fast display and interaction with the menus in the Global navigation. Since links to third levels don't yet work, I'm sure this is a work in progress.

Sorry I missed this comment last week - yes, we learned there was a regression that broke the rendering of the L3 URL. A fix has already been patched and should be rolling to PROD.

@Glenn Goldberg@Denis Tiri @Scott Joyner, - Sorry I missed these comment last week - yes, we learned there was a regression that broke the rendering of the L3 URL. A fix has already been patched and should be rolling to PROD. Apologies - thanks for your patience!

@Sean Squires3rd level links now seem to work. Great news, thanks!

PagePageLibraryLibrary

Just flagging this again, the menu does however look different within the same site collection. On a page all menu items are fully visible, as soon as I am in a list/library the menu items are cut off.

does not work at my tenant yet, hoping it does soon

What on earth is going on?  Our navigation is still all messed up.  When there is a third level flyout, it stops the second level fly-out from working.

We urgently need to upgrade to the modern library experience, and have been wanting to all year, but this failure to render the navigation is stopping us from doing so. 

Please can you provide an update??

@Sean Squires This is still not working.  When there is a third level, the second level stops working.  This is the only thing stopping us from moving to the new library experience, which we are desperate to do.   Please can you help??

I can confirm, that the second level does not work when there is a third.

@Adrienne Kidd - very sorry about this; we validated this very scenario when we rolled the fix out earlier this month - but I'm now able to repro, too. I have an engineer investigating.

Hello!

A little late to the party here, but trying to solve for navigation on a new Modern site. In the Classic sites it was very easy and straight-forward to create a horizontal navigation bar. This allowed users to select from over 50 wiki pages in a very organized fashion. However, unless I'm missing something, I can't determine how to create a horizontal navigation bar in the modern pages environment without having to go through the Navigation menu in Site Settings. Is there not an easy "Edit Links" button that someone could use?

Hi @Adrienne Kidd - terribly sorry to have gone dark on you. I was out of town and thought an update was shared. The regression took a bit longer to isolate and fix, but I'm happy to report that a fix is in and should be rolling out this week (fully in by end of week). I'm looking into a related issue w/ the browser status reporting the URL of the node w/ focus, but the L2 and L3 links are correctly rendering. Thanks for your patience!