UPDATE: Support for Structured/Managed Navigation enabled on Modern Pages in Classic Team Sites

Microsoft

Hi everyone! Thank you for the feedback around wanting to move to the “modern” team site experiences, and needing support for structured/managed navigation. We’re pleased to announce that we have addressed this issue and will be rolling out the fix to the worldwide production environment in the coming days. Thank you for your patience – and to the community for helping us identify some issues during the initial First Release preview!

With this update if you have enabled publishing on a classic team site, your structured or managed navigation will now render correctly in the modern experience (both global and current navigation), including any scoped or audience-targeted links. We haven’t pulled all the classic settings into the modern panels yet, so when you need to edit the navigation elements, the edit link will direct you to the classic settings page.

Navigation settings on a classic team site:

areanavigationsettings.png

Now render correctly on a modern page:

managednav-global.png

Additionally, subsites will correctly inherit from the parent web when structural navigation is used.

Parent site:

structurednav-global.png

Subsite:

structurednav-subsiteinherit.png

We hope this unblocks you as you move to the modern user experience (UX). Try it out, and let us know if you have any questions. Thanks, Sean!

112 Replies

And while you are at it @Sean Squires, could you also please help me with a conundrum am facing?

There is a "Return to classic SharePoint" link at the bottom of the current navigation (left-pane). When I click it, I am taken to the classic mode. 

Question ---- How do I get back to modern-mode from the classic-mode?

Issue is still there. The submenu in the structural navigation opens the Site above while the config is correct at /_layouts/15/quiklnch.aspx and /_layouts/15AreaNavigationSettings.aspx

Thanks for reporting. The feature crew has been notified and is investigating (appears to be an issue specifically w/ Edge browser).

Thanks @Abhimanyu Singh - yes, the intended design pattern of modern nav where nesting is used is for the parent header to have an expand/collapse target and a link target. Currently, if the parent/header doesn't have a link it gets treated like a self-referencing link (in this case to the root site collection). Let me discuss w/ the team to see whether there are other options. 

Hi @Abhimanyu Singh - this link is provided on modern pages to provide a quick way to get back to classic view mode. It is setting a session cookie - so you can close your browser session to revert back to modern (note: the team might be looking at making this more of a toggle, right @Lincoln DeMaris?

Pooya - flight rollout didn't complete until probably early afternoon yesterday. Can you confirm you are still seeing the issue? Thanks.

@Sean Squires Perhaps it's just me, but I still see the same problems with Global navigation (Publishing turned on, using Managed Navigation (term set under the Site Collection tree), with a simple custom CSS to outline the drop-down boxes and shade them light blue on hover-over) that I've seen in the past when viewed from a Modern Document Library. It works fine when viewed from a classic page.

Viewed from classic (home page of "Sync Client Test Site" site collection):

Classic.png 

Seen from a Modern Document Library:

Modern.png

In the Modern view, there are no Level 3 flyouts, no observation of the custom CSS, and all the underlying links are wrong: they all omit the "/sites/synctest/" portion of the URL (i.e., the portion that specifies the site collection home). The only link that works is the default icon that takes you to the Home of the site. In the classic view, all the links work as expected.

If I look at /sites/synctest/_layouts/15/topnav.aspx, there is only one link there, "Home", and it links to "/sites/synctest". Surely we're not supposed to have to edit that page on every site we've ever created to rebuild our navigation? Here's what my term store entry looks like:

TermStore2.png

Any ideas? Thanks!

Richard

Great Job !
But what about the mobile view. When I open the modern UI Site with the activated global Metadata Navigation on my phone, the global Navigation disappears :( I hoped there would be an Integration with the hamburger menu or something like this.

Hi @Sean Squires - As far as I can see, neither structured nor managed navigation work in modern sites when the Publishing site collection feature is turned on. Is your group continuing work in this area to resolve these issues, or is this now considered the end state? Thanks,

Richard

We were told the new UI would support the flyouts in the managed navigation.  We are still unable to move to the new UI because although we see one level of subsites, we do not see the next level as flyouts, which we rely on in our existing navigation.  Please confirm.  Thanks!

@Bernd Diel We are also seeing this and its a massive problem for us.  How can we rely on a Global Navigation that is not present on all devices (or resolutions)?

@Sean Squires Is this a bug, a known limitation, or by design?  What is the recommendation for shared global navigation across site collections which works on all devices?

Thanks @Bernd Diel - that is the plan, to ensure parity of settings across devices. Adding @Nate Clinton for notice/comment (I'll also follow-up on this one).

Hi @Richard Sharp - apologies if I missed an earlier comment - this work was to support structured/managed nav on modern pages in classic team sites. Enabling the publishing feature in a modern team site is not a supported state as it causes other issues - most pertinently, edits to settings cannot be persisted (please see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/pnp_articles/modern-experience-customizations-customize-sites for more details). Thanks, Sean

Charlie - known limitation, but let me or Nate get back to thread w/ more detail. Thanks.

Thank you!  I can now fully support rolling out modern lists to our entire user base.

Great job!

Aaron

Still waiting for a response to my question.  We were told the new UI would support the flyouts in the managed navigation.  We are still unable to move to the new UI because although we see one level of subsites, we do not see the next level as flyouts, which we rely on in our existing navigation.  Please confirm.  Thanks!

Thanks @Sean Squires, the sooner we can get an idea of when this bug will be fixed the better as one of our customers is depending upon this.

Will you be adding support for second level menu navigation? Currently it appears that you only have top levels displayed. Also, if the label is too long to display in the current width, can you add a rollover popup to show the full name?

Hi @Charlie Lee... we are looking into the device related issues now.  Quick question... are you only seeing this on Android, or iOS as well?  And it looks like the issue is that no nav appears at all in the mobile view?  If you have additional screenshots/etc., that'd be helpful.

Thanks!
Nate

@Aneetha Jayaraman