UPDATE: Support for Structured/Managed Navigation enabled on Modern Pages in Classic Team Sites

Microsoft

Hi everyone! Thank you for the feedback around wanting to move to the “modern” team site experiences, and needing support for structured/managed navigation. We’re pleased to announce that we have addressed this issue and will be rolling out the fix to the worldwide production environment in the coming days. Thank you for your patience – and to the community for helping us identify some issues during the initial First Release preview!

With this update if you have enabled publishing on a classic team site, your structured or managed navigation will now render correctly in the modern experience (both global and current navigation), including any scoped or audience-targeted links. We haven’t pulled all the classic settings into the modern panels yet, so when you need to edit the navigation elements, the edit link will direct you to the classic settings page.

Navigation settings on a classic team site:

areanavigationsettings.png

Now render correctly on a modern page:

managednav-global.png

Additionally, subsites will correctly inherit from the parent web when structural navigation is used.

Parent site:

structurednav-global.png

Subsite:

structurednav-subsiteinherit.png

We hope this unblocks you as you move to the modern user experience (UX). Try it out, and let us know if you have any questions. Thanks, Sean!

112 Replies

Hi Sean,

I'm seeing a new grid on document libraries today in FR. Is this part of this update? It's rendering like this:

docgrid.PNG

Is it possible to finetune the width to better support non-English longer words... :)

menu.png

Despite this minor issues :-), congratulations to the team for adding support to structural navigation in modern team sites!

Great job @Sean Squires and team for monitoring the forum.

Does the fix include ability to control the behaviour of opening in new tab vs same tab?

Thanks

@Sean Squires Should this be in all first release tenants yet?  I have a developer tenant that I am not seeing those changes in yet.  I am still seeing the hidden "page not found" page in both the global and quick launch navigation.

Hi @John Wynne Hi John, no this fix is specific to navigation - but that doesn't look right. @Lincoln DeMaris - have you seen or heard other reports of this issue?

Noted! We're actually already working to implement better overflow logic - consistent w/ other column header behaviors.
FR roll went out today - if you're still seeing the issue tomorrow, let me know and we can troubleshoot (is this w/ structured or managed nav?)
Thanks Kiran - no, that configuration is not in this fix. We are still evaluating design options to support that in the new control; current behavior will be to open site links in same tab and related workload links (mailbox, calendar, planner) in a new tab.

@Sean Squires Looks like it is working as expected today!!  it was with structured navigation by the way, thanks looks great.  Might be able to roll this out to our production tenant soon after the fix is rolled to all non-first release tenants.

The structural navigation is now broken for me. It worked for a couple of days and now the submenu in the structural navigation opens the Site above the Site I have set. Editing at "quicklinks.aspx" or "AreaNavigationSettings.aspx" doesn't help. The links are correct and it still opens the Site above. Adding new items also results in the same behavior. The order for both the structural and global navigation was also randomized on it's own today. Also tried adding a sub menu in the global nav and the items all open blank pages. Don't even want to fix the global nav anymore. Would be nice if something as basic as navigation would simply work. Regret having adviced the customer to make use of the modern pages. It's kind of hard to explain to a customer that you had to spend more than a day to fix something as basic as the navigation. 

edit- just noticed that you mentioned that the fix should be deployed by the end of this week in the other post. Have advised the customer to wait and create a ticket if it's still not working after Friday. 

I have borders around the colun headers as well.

Not sure if this is still rolling out, but my first release account doesn't correctly display the structural global navigation in a sub site. It's missing the root site "Home" link in the child sites.

In classic I get (when visiting subsite: Child 1):
Home (/sites/sitea)
Child 1 (/sites/sitea/child1)
Child 2 (/sites/sitea/child2)

In modern I get (when visiting subsite: Child 1):
Child 1 (/sites/sitea/child1)
Child 2 (/sites/sitea/child2)

Great to see this in my tenancy this morning - thanks team for resolving!

Hi,

just to get a definitiv answer, activating SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure is now supported again by Microsoft for SharePoint Online Teamsites (both classic and modern and classic with modern pages) to get Managed Navigation?

This is important information for us.

Kind regards,

Andy

Yes, let me know if you still have issues after next Monday. Thanks!

Hi @Deleted - no, this fix is specific to ensuring support for modern pages in classic team sites only. We do not recommend enabling classic publishing infrastructure service feature on a modern, group-connected team site (see: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/pnp_articles/modern-experience-customizations-customize-sites); it is technically possible to do, but an unsupported configuration at this time. Hope that helps!

Thank you @Sean Squires. I can see that the navigation elements are now fixed. This resolves by earlier problem of inconsistent navigation between classic and modern. 

However, now another problem remains (I haven't done a comprehensive testing yet:(

We have headers in our current navigation (left-pane), and these headers do not have links. While this works correctly as intended in the classic-mode, the modern-mode adds a link to the root site-collection for these link-less (I don't know what you call those) headers.

These comparative screenshots show you what I am talking about:

Modern-Mode (headers are linked)Modern-Mode (headers are linked)Classic-Mode (headers remain unlinked)Classic-Mode (headers remain unlinked)