UPDATE: Support for Structured/Managed Navigation enabled on Modern Pages in Classic Team Sites

Microsoft

Hi everyone! Thank you for the feedback around wanting to move to the “modern” team site experiences, and needing support for structured/managed navigation. We’re pleased to announce that we have addressed this issue and will be rolling out the fix to the worldwide production environment in the coming days. Thank you for your patience – and to the community for helping us identify some issues during the initial First Release preview!

With this update if you have enabled publishing on a classic team site, your structured or managed navigation will now render correctly in the modern experience (both global and current navigation), including any scoped or audience-targeted links. We haven’t pulled all the classic settings into the modern panels yet, so when you need to edit the navigation elements, the edit link will direct you to the classic settings page.

Navigation settings on a classic team site:

areanavigationsettings.png

Now render correctly on a modern page:

managednav-global.png

Additionally, subsites will correctly inherit from the parent web when structural navigation is used.

Parent site:

structurednav-global.png

Subsite:

structurednav-subsiteinherit.png

We hope this unblocks you as you move to the modern user experience (UX). Try it out, and let us know if you have any questions. Thanks, Sean!

112 Replies

Hi @Peter Mcdermott - if you have sufficient permissions you should see an inline edit button that allows you to add, move, and group navigation links. From the pages library there's also an option in the context menu to add to the navigation. Take a look at this article for more details: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Customize-the-navigation-on-your-SharePoint-site-3cd61ae7-a... (let us know if you have other questions). Thanks!

@Sean Squires, thank you for the link. This bullet point addressed my concern:

"In SharePoint Online, you can only customize the left-hand menu on a team site at this time unless you are in classic mode."

Of course - and yes, missed your note that you were looking to edit horizontal. In modern team we're moving to a left, vertical nav only - but will materialize the classic horizontal nav if you have subsites. You can, of course, continue to edit the toplink nav bar directly, but only through classic settings/page. Thanks.

@Sean Squires Really like the push for the modern and especially a Responsive experience, as that is absolutely essential in pushing SharePoint to a client now adays, the first thing a client asks is "is it responsive?". So far, huge leaps have been made and its looking good!
Big issue however is the Top nav not being included. Any idea on when we can expect to have the Top Navigation into the mobile experience? As previously mentioned it dissepears when the screen is 640px or something like that.
As of right now, its hard to recomend the client a navigation option that includ the Top nav at all, as we do not really know when it will be possible to use it in the mobile view. If we use the top nav,  the user cant navigate properly using the phone.

This leads us to use the Quick Luanch navigation entierely. But that hits on another problem. The navigation is not collapsed as default. This means that without a top navigation the left navigation becomes extreamly cluttered and large, and is expanded by default.

3 things:
1. Top nav need to be shown in the mobile experience, is this still the plan? And if so whats the ETA?

2. Left nav desperately need to have "Collapsed" as default option.

3. Aditionally, on nother note, the ms-siteLogo-defaultLogo link needs to have the option to allways link to the top site collection landing page. Without the ability to inject JS this needs to be an option, as that is one of the main things i allways get requested to fix for our clients as developer.

Regards

+100 for Left nav desperately need to have "Collapsed" as default option.

What is planned for intelligent/not manual site navigation for modern pages? This doesn't feel very modern.

@Sean Squires, I just noticed this discussion. 

Are there any plans to make Managed Navigation work across multiple site collections?

@Sean Squires, The problem I'm having sounds similar, but not quite the same as anyone here.

I'm using Managed Metadata navigation. On classic pages, both the level-1 and level-2 terms are working fine:

Level-1 term: http://siteurl.com/docLibrary  (correct)

Level-2 term: http://siteurl.com/docLibrary/category1  (correct)

On modern pages, my level-1 term continues to work fine, but my level-2 term become corrupt and duplicate the level-2 term in place of the level-1 term, which breaks the URL and results in a 404 page not found error:

Level-1 term: http://siteurl.com/docLibrary  (correct)

Level-2 term: http://siteurl.com/category1/category1  (incorrect - 404 page not found)

So, for reasons I can't explain, my level-1 term is dropped and the Level-2 term is duplicated on the Modern pages, but works fine on the classic pages. The fact that it works fine on classic pages but not on modern pages propted me to post it on this forum.

Thanks!

Hi,

Today the top link bar (global navigation) is gone on modern experience page.

We have a site collection with a lot of classic team sites. Publishing feature activated on this site collection, and a few subsites.

Some sites use classic page, and some sites use modern page -> with this one, the top link bar is gone.

I'm not the only one : https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Anybody-else-s-top-link-bar-in-Modern-experience-d...

There is a regression with the last update ?

Thanks

We are migrating a business unit to iPads and we need to step up our mobile game. Using the SharePoint App, I am only seeing the menu "hamburger" on Group-connected sites. For our classic sites, where we have implemented modern site pages to be mobile-friendly, we are not getting any menus showing on the device, making navigation non-existent. This is a particular issue with our Intranet Home Site which is a classic Publishing Infrastructure enabled site with the drop down menus.

How do I get menus to show up using the SharePoint App for these type of sites?

Hi Roland... would you be able to provide a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Thanks

Nate (from the SP Mobile team)

@Nate Clinton sure, I have attached desktop versus SharePoint App. Neither the Quick Launch nor Top Bar show up.  

HP_Desktop.pngHP_IOS.PNG

Super helpful Roland, thanks.  I'm running this down with my team now.  Hoping to circle back after the new year at the latest).  

Thanks!
Nate

Hi,

I've reached the structure of my solution where I created a Classic team site, added publishing features and added metadata navigation on my left nav. Problem is that it's expanded by default. It's not so user friendly and now we only have about 20 pages but once the application is done it will be hundreds.The default setting should be collapsed.

And trimming it down is no use, it's for a Customer in the public sector.

Wasn't aware you can have so many subcategories, how did you achieve that? I am only able to get one subcategory.

And yes fully agree, as have many others here, default setting should be collapsed or it's state manageable.

It's managed meta data, baby! What can't we do with that? Up to seven levels, allthough I think you are having issues if you need that many...

ha, and I thought you had some other trick up your sleeve :) Thanks

Hi @Deleted / @Philine von Guretzky - thanks for the feedback. Yes, we're looking to amend the navigation to be default collapsed (and consistent w/ the documents and pages libraries). 

OMG. I logged in today and <this might be the proudes moment in my SharePoint career> It -was - fixed. I have never had this impact on SharePoint Before. I'm gonna call my mom.
Great to see the quick launch collapsed by default!
However...
When I follow a link, say from a hero web part on the homepage, the page loads but the navigation does not change - it stays collapsed. Hence I am not clear where the page is located and what else it might refer to. Is this a bug or by default?