Update site column without affecting version

MVP

Hello All,

Is it possible to update a documents site column information without affecting the version number?

This is part of a compliance requirement to add metadata to a document without changing the version number during the initial file upload and site column population. When you upload a new file you get version 1. Update site column information and you get version 2.

Other approaches and feedback are welcome.

Thanks!

Norm

8 Replies
Unfortunately the answer is no, as soon as you upate metadata for a document a new version is going to be generated

Thanks for the reply @Juan Carlos González Martín

I wonder if the "PowerApps integration with SharePoint libraries [roadmap ID: 57303]" update can help to maintain version 1 of the document when uploaded and the metadata populated?

If not a "submission/upload form" using PowerApps might be the way to go,

Thanks again.

Norm

100 % sure the scenario is the same...SPO is the one that defines the rules here so no matter from where you are adding the metada, a new version is going to be generated when you update it

Oh so no way to treat the initial upload and metadata population as a single transaction?

Thanks.

Norm

@Norman Young @Juan Carlos González Martín 

Wouldn`t it be possible even if we write custom code to upload the attachment and metadata? to mark as V1?

No, same situation...in the end you are just uploading the file so SPO is going to generate a new version.

Thanks for the replies @Juan Carlos González Martín and @O365Developer. I appreciate it.

Norm

I worked around the issue by creating a "drop off" document library that has content approval turned on. On approval, and after metadata population, Power Automate copies the file to the destination document library as version 1.

I'm sure there are other approaches but this is what I came up with.

Thanks.

Norm