UPDATE: SharePoint Online team sites + Office 365 Groups moving beyond First Release

Microsoft

As announced in August, 2016, we are bringing SharePoint Online team sites to Office 365 groups. This change rolled out to First Release tenants in the end of 2016 and is now beginning worldwide rollout. This next phase of the rollout will start Thursday, January 12, 2017, and is expected to complete to customers worldwide in 100% of production by the end of the month.

Team-News_001.png

The new SharePoint Online team site home page for an Office 365 group showcases important news, content and site activity.

When you create a group, Office 365 gives the group a shared inbox, calendar, OneNote notebook, a Planner for task management—and now, a full-powered SharePoint team site. Each group gets a modern home page—with the ability to create additional pages—document libraries, lists and business apps.

The integration of groups and SharePoint team sites means that any time a new team site is created, a new group membership will be created as well. You can easily see the members of the site, if the site is listed as public or private within your organization and how it has been classified. In addition, all existing Office 365 groups will be updated with their own team site. And once the rollout is complete for your tenant, all existing and newly created groups will get a team site by default.

Within a group’s team site, this roll out brings a new home page, features News for highlighting important content in the team, and the Activity web part for showing recently active content. These team sites also include our new responsive and powerful page authoring and consumption experience – all connected to the overall Office 365 group experience.

There is nothing you need to do but collaborate with your team in a more modern, connected way.

Please ask in a reply to this thread if you have any questions. We are pleased to reach this milestone, and here with you along the way.

Thanks,

Mark

111 Replies

Our SharePoint governance is all based around site collections.  Where do these new team sites go?  Tenant level?  Each of our regional offices has it's own site collection with sites being added for 0365 groups how do you suggest we govern?

Each new modern team site connected to Office 365 groups is it's own site collection. They are created alongside all site collections, though do not yet appear in the site collection list of the SPO admin center; we are addressing this in a coming future update to the SPO admin center UI. And today, you can review and report on all via the SharePoint Online Management Shell; results returned do include ALL sister collections - classic and modern.

Is this the reason why site creation is currently not working?

My problem is, I still cannot edit the header if I add a page to the site. Why is that? And by the end of the month is it going to be editable? The issue is it tells me to give a title to the page but there's no way to change the background from that grey default one. Or is there?

Our organisation wants documents to be open as much as possible, unless there are circumstances not to do so. When adding a sharepoint teamsite to a Office365 group, does the acess of documents in this particular Sharepoint teamsite be restricted to the members of the Office365 group, or can the documents be accessed (READ) by the entire organisation. Are there any guidelines on this? 

Regards, Jaap

We want students to be able to create groups.  But we dont want them to have all of the components that are being added to groups.  So we need the ability to turn parts on or off for groups.  Or to create a default configuration of items that get provisioned automatically for groups and then the ability to add or subtract items by group.  So lets say i want the default for my tenant to be that groups do NOT get a team site or a shared notebook automatically.  Then if I have a particular group that does need one or both of these things, i can provision the items just to that group.

We want students to be able to create groups.  But we dont want them to have all of the components that are being added to groups.  So we need the ability to turn parts on or off for groups.  Or to create a default configuration of items that get provisioned automatically for groups and then the ability to add or subtract items by group.  So lets say i want the default for my tenant to be that groups do NOT get a team site or a shared notebook automatically.  Then if I have a particular group that does need one or both of these things, i can provision the items just to that group

When will this be available to Government and Education tenants?

is there a way to not have sharepoint integrate old groups and is it office 365 groups or dist and security groups too?

Hi there,

The storage consumed by groups sites is this part of the total assigned to the tenant Sharepoint Storage or like one drive it is counted separately  and how much is the evaialble storage then?

It's part of the space assigned to SharePoint storage

When will it or will it ever be available to create in the admin center?  All the subtle differences between old and new is becoming very frustrating.  If it can't be easliy explained on here just image explaining to end users.

Office 365 Groups do solve a much needed problem that traditional SharePoint sites however the navigation is not consistant and the applications do not all look the same.  When moving between Planner, Word and One Note...they all have different button and navigation.  In some instances, I cannot figure out how to get back to the "group conversation landing page".  Governace is another issue as there are a few ways to create a group that need to be locked down from a centeral location.  Please keep this in mind as you further develop this great new addition to the Office 365 suite.  I know Teams are coming in the near future and that will further confuse users if there isn't clear guidance on how these tools are used and surfaced in the platform.  

Hi all,

Is there a clear governance and usage guidelines/recommendations about groups published by Microsoft somewhere ? It's hard to define their usage as a self-service for our customers when we do not know their futures.

Hi Jean,

Best place to start is here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Learn-about-Office-365-groups-b565caa1-5c40-40ef-9915-60fdb...

... and it blends into one or two other articles into more specifics about management how to and guidance.

Cheers,
Mark
Hi Mark,

Will this also include the soft delete and recover functionality?

Thanks.

John
Same request here, you cannot call it "powerful page authoring" when it's not possible to alter the header.
A bootstrap-like layout would be welcome as well!