UPDATE: SharePoint Online team sites + Office 365 Groups moving beyond First Release

Microsoft

As announced in August, 2016, we are bringing SharePoint Online team sites to Office 365 groups. This change rolled out to First Release tenants in the end of 2016 and is now beginning worldwide rollout. This next phase of the rollout will start Thursday, January 12, 2017, and is expected to complete to customers worldwide in 100% of production by the end of the month.

Team-News_001.png

The new SharePoint Online team site home page for an Office 365 group showcases important news, content and site activity.

When you create a group, Office 365 gives the group a shared inbox, calendar, OneNote notebook, a Planner for task management—and now, a full-powered SharePoint team site. Each group gets a modern home page—with the ability to create additional pages—document libraries, lists and business apps.

The integration of groups and SharePoint team sites means that any time a new team site is created, a new group membership will be created as well. You can easily see the members of the site, if the site is listed as public or private within your organization and how it has been classified. In addition, all existing Office 365 groups will be updated with their own team site. And once the rollout is complete for your tenant, all existing and newly created groups will get a team site by default.

Within a group’s team site, this roll out brings a new home page, features News for highlighting important content in the team, and the Activity web part for showing recently active content. These team sites also include our new responsive and powerful page authoring and consumption experience – all connected to the overall Office 365 group experience.

There is nothing you need to do but collaborate with your team in a more modern, connected way.

Please ask in a reply to this thread if you have any questions. We are pleased to reach this milestone, and here with you along the way.

Thanks,

Mark

111 Replies

Gratz on reaching that milestone :)

Any idea about Yammer interation for Team site groups?

Thank you, I was talking about the integration betwen groups and Yammer.

We are supposed to have a team site and a convesation listing and depending on where it is created your conversations are happening in yammer or Outlook

Thanks for the post about Teams and Yammer

Lovely! Things are moving on the right way.

Does this mean that the new client side webparts can be used in production environments?

Soon, but not quite, for 3rd party custom web parts built using the new SharePoint Framework - it is still in preview stage. That said, the 1st party components in the service today when you create a new News article or modern page are fully supported by Microsoft.

Integration between Yammer and Groups is coming...
You might use SPFx WebParts when SPFx leaves preview status and is generally available...something that's not happening Today, so If I were you, I would not use third party SPFx WebParts in production...I guess you can use Microsoft's SPFx WebParts with no problems :)

Good work team!

Just curious, is there a common navigation framework available for cross site navigation? Something like managed metadata navigation? It would be great to be able to easily navigate between different group sites without having to manually re-create the navigation on each site. Anything planned?

Any way to connect my current IT SharePoint teamsite to my Office 365 IT group?

This is a question for our start up, too! How to get a SharePoint sites with mailboxes (and all those functions - e.g. mailing/discussion, calendar, planner, etc. - which would fit to MS Teams quite well) entirely connected to Office 365 groups to get best experience with MS Teams? Thanks!
At this moment there is no way to connect an existing SPO Site with an existing Group

If I create a new teamsite i can't see an associated Office Group in my first release tenant. Is that  feature already released?

the other way works if I create a Group a teamsite is also created

You have to create the modern team site from the SharePoint Landing page
Benjamin,

That is the way it works. Groups are connected to new team sites. Old team sites are not related to groups.