UPDATE: SharePoint Online team sites + Office 365 Groups moving beyond First Release

Microsoft

As announced in August, 2016, we are bringing SharePoint Online team sites to Office 365 groups. This change rolled out to First Release tenants in the end of 2016 and is now beginning worldwide rollout. This next phase of the rollout will start Thursday, January 12, 2017, and is expected to complete to customers worldwide in 100% of production by the end of the month.

Team-News_001.png

The new SharePoint Online team site home page for an Office 365 group showcases important news, content and site activity.

When you create a group, Office 365 gives the group a shared inbox, calendar, OneNote notebook, a Planner for task management—and now, a full-powered SharePoint team site. Each group gets a modern home page—with the ability to create additional pages—document libraries, lists and business apps.

The integration of groups and SharePoint team sites means that any time a new team site is created, a new group membership will be created as well. You can easily see the members of the site, if the site is listed as public or private within your organization and how it has been classified. In addition, all existing Office 365 groups will be updated with their own team site. And once the rollout is complete for your tenant, all existing and newly created groups will get a team site by default.

Within a group’s team site, this roll out brings a new home page, features News for highlighting important content in the team, and the Activity web part for showing recently active content. These team sites also include our new responsive and powerful page authoring and consumption experience – all connected to the overall Office 365 group experience.

There is nothing you need to do but collaborate with your team in a more modern, connected way.

Please ask in a reply to this thread if you have any questions. We are pleased to reach this milestone, and here with you along the way.

Thanks,

Mark

111 Replies

It's really great but it would be really great to let people to make some changes on the masterpage and CSS.

Many of our customers would like to have their own top navigation bar on all Office 365 applications.

Hi 

I am using team sites/groups throughout my organisation. Loving the ease of set up. I do have one issue where I cannot add a task list webpart to the main page of the site. Given most of these sites are being used in a project type group collaboration it would be great to have this as the first part you see. 

Any thoughts or remedies on this?

We are still working on a modern version of this web part that you can put on modern pages like the new team site homepage.  

Getting this error. How do I access Office 365 Groups from Sharepoint? It doesn't seem to be an app.

Sorry, something went wrong
New Site Mailboxes can no longer be created in SharePoint Online. Consider using Office 365 Groups to connect a team site with an email conversation.
TECHNICAL DETAILS

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.
Correlation ID: cbda259e-60cd-4000-7c70-6528f6c7dfe7

Date and Time: 10/23/2017 4:09:53 PM

Hi Sloane - can you tell us more about where you are seeing that error?  What are you trying to do?  Create a new site (with a group) from SharePoint?  The error you are describing is related to the Site Mailbox feature and not Office 365 Groups.

I created a new private sharepoint site through office365, and I am trying to create a private mailbox (like on my other team and private sites) where only site members can access the mailbox.

I'm trying to create a new MAILBOX on a site's group, so all members can simply log into the site to view the emails.

From where did you create the site?  Is Office 365 Group creation enabled in your environment?  And do you know if in SharePoint you have group-connected sites as the default type of site that gets provisioned?

@Sean Squires as FYI.

I created the site via Sharepoint online portal.  It is labeled a "Private group". Group creation is enabled, we have been able to create groups in the past with a unique email attached to them.

I got an email after creating it containing this:

<Group Name>
Private group 2 Members

Welcome to the <Group Name group.
<Group Name>'s sharepoint site

Take part in conversations
Engage with your group using Outlook.

View and share files
View, edit, and share all group files, including email attachments.

Share notes
Capture ideas and images in OneNote.

Check out the team site
Discover, share, and collaborate on content in SharePoint.

Ok great!  That looks like the welcome email for an Office 365 Group, and should mean that the mailbox is already there for you to use.  Are you able to click on 'Conversations' from the team site?  Or can you navigate directly to the Group's mailbox from the welcome email?

Yes, I was able to get there from the "Conversations" tab, however the email address does not seem to accept emails from people outside of the organization.

If you are the group owner, try going to the group mailbox, and 'Edit group' from the group's header.  You should see an option to let people outside the organization email the group:

image.png