Update: Document Sets in Modern Document Libraries

Microsoft

I am pleased to announce some updates on the plan and timeline for improving the Document Set experience in modern document libraries.

In January, we communicated a March delivery date for these improvements.  We apologize for missing that date.  We’re now planning on rolling out this change in May.  We will be making the official announcement to the Message Center very soon with exact dates.  Thank you all for your patience!

This change allows organizations to use the power of document sets to group related documents together with consistent metadata and structure without having to go back and forth between classic and modern experiences.  

DocSet2.gif

Document sets now look and feel like ordinary folders in modern libraries, and benefit from all the cool new features in modern.  This means that users can drag and drop content to upload to document sets, link to content that lives outside the document set, pin files to the top of the document set, start flows on document set items, and define conditional formatting on document set items.  It also means that the Document Set experience can be customized using SharePoint Framework Extensions, just like all other modern list views.

All the content management rules you can define on document set content types are still supported.  No business processes were harmed in the making of this change!  Document set metadata can be viewed and edited in the details pane while in a document set.  Shared metadata specified in a document set content type continues to work as it always has; values inside shared columns will be copied to items inside the document set.  Columns that are identified as Welcome page columns in the content type are sorted to the top of the details pane, so that users can find them easily.  Content and structure rules specified in the document set content type are also supported, including the default content and default view settings.

Document set versioning functionality will appear under the context menu on document set items in the modern list view, include “Capture Version” and “Version History.”  Other document set-specific actions from the Document Set ribbon are still there, but only in classic.  Just like any other modern list view page, you can click “Return to classic SharePoint” in the lower left hand corner to go back the classic document set experience back.

The one caveat is that customized document set welcome pages are not supported in modern.  This change will not affect document sets that use welcome pages that have been configured with custom HTML or web parts; those welcome pages will still be displayed in classic mode, as they are today. 

200 Replies

@Lincoln DeMaris 

Thank you for the update Lincoln.  As one of the Tenants that had them and they have now disappeared is there any ETA or expectations on when we can expect they may come back?  

@Dudditz Modern document sets should be fully visible in all Targeted Release tenants, as of yesterday afternoon.  Everybody who saw it once should now again see it.

@Lincoln DeMaris we have modern document sets again in our targeted release tenant, since today. We also had modern document sets already in standard release tenants of our customers. We really need them there also please, because of the flows we build there last week. Thank you for all the updates. Regards.

@Lincoln DeMaris 

Thanks Lincoln. The modern document sets haven't reappeared in my tenant since rolling back to classic over the weekend. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. 

@Lincoln DeMaris 

@Lincoln DeMaris wrote:

@Dudditz Modern document sets should be fully visible in all Targeted Release tenants, as of yesterday afternoon.  Everybody who saw it once should now again see it.

Alright, so non matter the type of tenant if you have, if you saw it once you should see it again within this week or maybe next week? Thank you for the updates.

@Lincoln DeMaris We've only had partial roll out of Doc Sets in the Modern Experience. We had full roll out active on 03 June 2019 and as of now only some of our sites have been restored. We're not a Targeted Release tenant. We also have the issue of Doc Sets opening in new tabs, whether in the Modern or Classic experiences.

@Lincoln DeMaris Hi. It seems that this feature (modern experience) have been deployed and "removed". I could see this feature on our tenant (production) and a few days later ... nothing :\
Also, the button "Download" has made it possible to create and download a zip file containing all the documents set > same, this feature does not seem to work anymore... An advice? Thanks

@Lincoln DeMarisModen is still not availlable on the Standard Tennent. What's the ETA? Thanks

@Lincoln DeMaris 

Just a quick reminder that the issue I reported is not resolved right now. The "Edit All" pane is not working because the content of the Name column disapear when I click the Save button.

This is happening in a brand new site collection.

Thanks.

@Chris600 Thanks for reporting this issue! We have a fix in the pipeline.

In the meantime, you should be able to edit the properties by navigating out of the document set and selecting its row (the same way you would edit its properties if it were a document).

@FrankJohnson The default view of the document set will be the "Welcome Page View" from the Document Set Settings (the view which showed up on the classic document set welcome page). You can find this by going to the Library Settings page, clicking on the document set's content type, and going to Document Set settings.

We currently list the welcome page columns before the other metadata on the document set, but I agree that we could do a better job of differentiating these columns. Thanks for the suggestions!

@Paul Hawkins @JustSpoor @Dudditz @Ryan_McConville @MikeAllen @Eric RENAUD 

We had an issue where only part of the modern document sets functionality was exposed to tenants that we didn't intend to be part of the current rollout scope.  Those tenants were able to see the modern document set homepage, but unfortunately, not all the underlying functionality was there.  This has been corrected, and now all the tenants receiving modern document sets have the full, up-to-date functionality.  We're working hard on increasing this scope to include all tenants.

@Udaybhanu Karmakar @Dudditz @MikeAllen 

Thanks for all of the great information about the issue with allowed content-types in the "New" menu - it definitely helped us track down the problem!

Here are some workarounds while we're working on rolling out a fix:

• Return to classic SharePoint, click on a document set, and click "Update the Document Set" above the document set properties.
  • Create a new document set item in the library (you can delete it after, if you’d like).
  • Add the missing content types to the library. The “change new button order” link below the content-types will allow you to hide them from the “New” button outside of Document Sets, if that’s desired.

@Michael_Silverstein 

Thanks for update. I can still see only the classic welcome page. So, probably my tenant has not been updated (despite the June update is finished).  When will be all tenants updated? How can I arrange my tenant to be updated immediately?

Thank you

David

@Michael_Silverstein 

Thanks for the update Michael. Just to reiterate @DavidVs question, is there any ETA for the rollout to all tenants? I think many of us are waiting for modern document sets before rolling out SharePoint within our organisations. Last week it looked like we were ready to go, but now we’re back in a holding pattern. I think the modern document sets look fantastic, and can’t wait to start using them!

@DavidVs @Ryan_McConville 

Thanks for your interest in modern document sets! We're still working on resolving a few issues, so I can't provide a definite ETA, but we're hoping to include more tenants soon.

For now, modern document sets are available to targeted release tenants:

Thanks again for all the great feedback on this thread!

@Michael_Silverstein Thank you for the update. Is it possible that you add our tenant (EBNBV) to the list of Modern Document Set tenants without being a targeted release tenant?

Thank you in advance!

@Lincoln DeMaris 

Very helpful!.

but can you please let us know how to switch a docsets to open in same Window and not as new tab?

I did played in view to add various Names fields. I found out you can replace in the URL ending parameter id with the docset title, but I do not want users to do it, it should be automatically. 

Can you please let us know what is the view setup to open in same tab and not switching to a classic page view?

• Opening in a new tab.  Before this change, document sets would open in a new tab in classic mode.  After this change, they open in the same tab in modern mode.  If folks are seeing document sets opening in modern mode in a new tab, that's very surprising - let us know for sure that the new tab behavior is indeed the modern document set view (as pictured at the top of this thread) and we'll look into this.
Hello Lincoln, Today I tried to create a document set in my side, however it still old version. However If I create document set in MS teams SharePoint site it is in Modern View. Is there anything I have to do to make it available for whole tenant.

@ZdenkaCechMavenir

Once the functionality has rolled-out to your tenant, document sets will automatically open in the same window with a modern view. You won't need to change any settings yourself.

The main exception to that would be customized document set welcome pages. If you've changed which web parts are shown on a document set's classic welcome page, we will continue to open that page in a new tab in order to preserve your customizations.

@ZdenkaCechMavenir wrote:

@Lincoln DeMaris 

Very helpful!.

but can you please let us know how to switch a docsets to open in same Window and not as new tab?

I did played in view to add various Names fields. I found out you can replace in the URL ending parameter id with the docset title, but I do not want users to do it, it should be automatically. 

Can you please let us know what is the view setup to open in same tab and not switching to a classic page view?