Unable to unregister Hub Site

Copper Contributor

I am trying to unregister a hub site through the SharePoint Admin portal but I am receiving an error when trying to do this.  (Just a pop up that says, error unable to update site)

The site is the root site. I made it a hub site yesterday and when the hub site options and navigation did not show up for the site, I decided to unregister it and try it again but am unable to do so. 

Also, I tried with powershell. The command Unregister-SPOHubSite told me that the site was not a hub site, and when I tried register-SPOHubSite, it told me that the site was a hub site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 Replies
@wkmaylish
Hi,
Usually when you register a site as hub site or unregister hub site via the SharePoint Admin Center, the changes are reflected immediately. But in your scenario, may be there is a delay. Please wait for few minutes and try to unregister the Hub site. If it still doesn't work, try to close and reopen your browser and login again. This should help you to solve it. Please let us know once you try it.
I presume that your tenant's root site is classic Team Site and therefore once you register your root site as Hub Site, Hub site features, settings and controls would be visible only across the modern pages and not in any classic pages of your site.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

@wkmaylish 

Same issue here. Did you get it figured out?

I'm having the same issue.

I set my root level site to be a Home site, and then I registered the site as a Hub site.

However, when I went to the site (even after waiting over 24 hours), I'm not seeing Hub site options like the Hub permissions tab, or the Hub site settings option. I decided to try to un-register and then re-register the site as a Hub to "reset" things, but now I cannot unregister the site as a Hub. I keep getting the error message "couldn't update site".

Hi @wkmaylish!

Microsoft 365 Message Center(Weekly digest) newsletter announced on 6th Oct 20 an  interesting article about dealing with exactly these issues - and all others who like me had SharePoint 2013 Classic Root Site in our Office 365 Tenant:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/modern-root-site#replace-your-root-site

The Technique to change classic Root Sites to modern Sites is called I think "Modern Site Swap".

And Big Tip from another SharePoint Guru - I guess it was Tony Redmond? - is the following:

FIRST create a Communication Site as the Hub Site for other Team Sites. THEN you can migrate content to the new Hub or to the several Team Sites, according to your content design thinking.

And a personal tip: Construct the new Hub Sites and relating Team Sites in that manner, that each one can reach his or her document with only 3 clicks. If it helps, please give a LIKE.

All the Best,

Eva.

Hi, I was having the same problem and I was able to resolve the issue myself with the help of this thread and a few others.

Backstory
We have an on-prem sharepoint 2013 server that we use. We are exploring migrating to SPO. One of the steps was to replace the classic teams site that was our root site with a new, modern communications site. Once I did that and the created the site as a hub site, I was never able to get the hub navigation or hub search to work.

I opened a case with MS support and they poked around for a while and told me that since I could just create a new hub site and associate new sites to that, they could not reproduce the issue and suggested I just do that and replace my root site with a new hub site. I hadn't made it too far in my planning so I was OK with doing that.

Next, I found I was unable to unregister my new-ish hub site as a hub site from the admin center.

Here's what I did to fix the issue:
Connected to my sharepoint site using powershell.
Removed the associations with Remove-PnPHubSiteAssociation
Unregistered the hub site with Unregister-PnPHubSite
Registered the hub site with Register-PnPHubSite
Added the associations with Add-PnPHubSiteAssociation

I used the active sites list in the admin center to quickly get the URLs.

Resources
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/sharepoint/sharepoint-pnp/sharepoint-pnp-cmdlets?view=sh...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/sharepoint-pnp/add-pnphubsiteassociation?view=sha...