Unable to open office files in Sharepoint Web

Copper Contributor

Hello Everyone, wanted to check is anyone having the same problem. I this thread i'll use powerpoint office files as example, but this happened on all office files. I tried in IE, Chrome and Safari (iPad/iPhone).

Problem:

Whenever you clicked on an office file from SharePoint Web, it just doesn't launch anything (i.e. no response at all), no error message or any kind of prompt.

The issue only happen on Account A, on Site X (App), and on a non-company issued device (both personal laptop, iPad and iPhone). Understand personal laptop is not allowed as company policy will not allow user to login office client in non-company issued device. But the question here is why iPad and iPhone can't launch the file where there is already MAM in place? 

More Detail for your understanding:

I've two accounts within the same tenant, Account A and Account B, the differences are:

• Account A: Licensed, Conditional Access Policies Applied
  • Account B: No license, no Conditional Access Policies 

I've two sharepoint site, Site X and Site Y, the differences are:

• Site X (App): Default open behavior is set to "Open in Application"
  • Site Y (Web): Default open behavior is set to "Open in Web"

I've two type of devices,

• Company issued device (Laptop), and
  • non-company issued device
    • personal laptop
    • iPad/iPhone - regulated by MAM

Test Conducted:

#Account UsedSite VisitDevice UsedResult
1Account ASite X (App)Company issued device (Laptop)No issue, pop out prompt to open desktop app will appear, and upon click on "Open PowerPoint (desktop)" office app will launch and open up the file
2Account ASite X (App)Personal LaptopNo response at all upon click on the files
3Account ASite X (App)iPad/iPhoneNo response at all upon click on the files
4Account ASite Y (Web)Company issued device (Laptop)No issue, files open on office online.
5Account ASite Y (Web)Personal LaptopNo issue, files open on office online.
6Account ASite Y (Web)iPad/iPhoneNo issue, files open on office online.
7Account BSite X (App)Company issued device (Laptop)No issue, pop out prompt to open desktop app will appear, and upon click on "Open PowerPoint (desktop)" office app will launch and open up the file
8Account BSite X (App)Personal LaptopNo response at all upon click on the files
9Account BSite X (App)iPad/iPhoneNo issue, pop out prompt to open in "PowerPoint", and upon click on "Open" office app will launch and open up the file
10Account BSite Y (Web)Company issued device (Laptop)No issue, files open on office online.
11Account BSite Y (Web)Personal LaptopNo issue, files open on office online.
12Account BSite Y (Web)iPad/iPhoneNo issue, files open on office online.
4 Replies

Hello anyone? Feel free to ask question if my post wasn't clear enough

bump the thread

So, when you say Site X(App), does that mean that you are accesing the site through the official app? Also, is it Sharepoint Online?

Regards
Both are SharePoint Online, the different between SiteX and SiteY is only the "default open behavior" setting. Where Site X default open behavior for Microsoft file (i.e. word, pptx. excel) is to launch the Office App. Whereas Site Y is open in Office line.