unable to edit sharepoint page

Iron Contributor

Hi Experts

For a unified group sharepoint site, none of the user is able to edit the page as it is giving message user1 is editing this page. user1 is no more the member of this unified group, neither siteadmin, siteowner or groupadmin. user1 does not exits its disabled account in AD. When other users try to discard user1 's changes, it says it will revert everything back to some previous date. experts guide me onthis

6 Replies

@Roger Roger 

Hi, best thing to do here is to go to Site Contents > Site Pages. Then select the page in the list, click the 3 dots as shown in the image below, and choose Discard Check out.  This should resolve this for you.

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 19.07.19.png

@PeterRising 

Discarding check out will give the same result as going back to the previous version.

@Roger Roger 

Hello Roger,

This sounds like a very unique situation and of course unfortunate...
The positive thing is that designing and administrating a modern site is very easy nowadays.
My solution for you is to: create documentation and specify the site as it is (webparts and content).
From header, to the footer. When the documentation is complete and you have taken some screenshots, to include some visualization. Go ahead and revert the site to the previous version. 
The changes might be minor, or major. However, you will have the exact knowledge of how it is supposed to be. From there, you could easily build it back to its original state.

@ArefHalmstrand 

From experience, I have found it to be the case that the person who is editing the page has simply forgotten to hit Republish.  This is why the page is stuck in edit mode.  This also means that the page as it appears in its current state for anyone viewing or using it now, is what it will continue to be if the checkout is discarded to release the edit lock.  I have just doubled check this to be absolutely sure.  I went in as an editor, deleted a web part, but did not hit republish.  I then opened the site as a member and I could still see the web part that had been deleted.

So many times editors will start editing a page and change nothing or one minor thing, and forget to hit republish or click to discard any changes.

@PeterRising 

What I meant is that discarding the change and going back to the previous version (recent official version) is similar. I agree that from experience, 98% of the times it wont actually affect the site. However, just to make sure and insure that we have a plan B if the actual page would change, I highly recommend to at least take a screenshot before going through with discarding the changes/checkout.

@ArefHalmstrand 

I completely agree to take some diligent and cautious steps just in case as you suggest.  Taking some screenshots of the page and knowing what is there is certainly a good idea and a sensible precaution.  You just never know what is going to happen for sure do you, so take all measures to put yourself in a good position to recover.  :smile: