Unable to Delete In Grid View

Iron Contributor

I have a column 'Code' it is data type single line of text.

Most cells in the Code column contain a six-digit figure, when I'm in grid mode I can't seem to delete this number.

When I click on the cell and delete using my keyboard it looks to have deleted, but then when I exit grid mode it seems to save the first character of whatever was in the cell.

e.g.

If the cell contains "12379" there's a single "1" in the cell.

If the cell contains "98331" there's a single "9" in the cell.

Any ideas why?

I am able to delete the cell content ok when not in grid mode.

8 Replies

@jonboylib I am unable to reproduce this issue on my SharePoint site.

When I click on cell and press delete on keyboard, it deletes the code completely & it is deleted even after I exit from grid view. 

Try these options:

1. Double click on cell
  2. Press Ctrl + A
  3. Press Delete button on keyboard
  4. Exit grid view

OR if you are trying to delete multiple consecutive entries, try this:

1. Click on top most cell
  2. Remove it's value either using double click as mentioned above or directly using Delete button
  3. Drag value in below cells using this option: ganeshsanap_0-1661358566261.png
  4. Exit grid view

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap I'm still having issues.

My steps are;

1. open SP list
  2. click 'Edit in grid view'
  3. double click the cell in the number column
  4. select all text, CTRL+A
  5. press backspace on keyboard (text deletes)
  6. click 'Exit grid view'
  7. full number re-appears

If I edit a record in 'normal' full view mode it works as expected. The issue is only with grid view mode.

@ganeshsanap See this short video I made of the issue video link 

@jonboylib apologies for stepping on @ganeshsanap 's answer but I noticed in the steps you gave that you are going straight from pressing the backspace on the keyboard to exiting grid view. That won';t save what you've changed. You need to click in another item in the list, the row below for example, once you've deleted the characters in order for the deletion to be saved.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott Thanks.

See at 40 secs into the video I do actually click on the row below, as I though that might be the issue.. nope! Very strange

@jonboylib I can't access the video as it's blocked on my work laptop. I'll leave it to @ganeshsanap to hopefully solve this.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@jonboylib 

I confirm the exact same problem using Chrome when trying to delete a number in grid view. The first numeral persists, e.g. deleting 294 > 2. I can only get rid of it by highlighting the entire number and pressing spacebar. Delete and backspace do not work. It's unsettling to use spacebar - am I actually leaving non-null data in the cell?  This seems like a fundamental problem.

Still appears to be an issue. Glad it's not just me...