Unable to add metadata to SharePoint folders connected to a Team

Brass Contributor

Hi there

I have an issue where I am trying to create a column of information to sort my SharePoint folders.  I have always been able to use the "edit in grid view" to do this and have never had an issue putting data in the new column.  

Today, I ran into an error on a Teams connected site.  When I tried to add info to the column on folders that were tied to a Teams channel, I get an error message that says "to update this folder, go to the channel in Microsoft Teams".  (photo of error attached)

I have absolutely no idea how to edit metadata in Teams on a folder and I am not sure why Microsoft has removed this ability from SharePoint.  

Has anyone else encountered this issue and how did you solve it?

Thanks  

9 Replies

@Mel_C13 we're having the exact same problem. Without the ability to add metadata we can't format and filter our library views. Any help would be appreciated.

@JarrodPirtle Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you.  After weeks of trying to work with Microsoft support, their answer to me was that this was expected behavior and there was nothing they could do.  I am still looking for a solution.  

Hi guys,
I am also interested in this topic. It seems like this is a bug... The error message links to Teams but there is no way to edit additional columns... I don't know how this can be expected behavior...

Hi, maybe it is assigned as espected behaviour because document sets, not folders are meant to work with metadata.

Maybe it helps to read this post: https://sharepointmaven.com/4-ways-to-tag-folders-with-metadata-in-sharepoint/

In Teams it is possible to edit multiple fields with the option 'edit in grid view'. I tried to do that with folders and it worked, but as I said, you should use document sets for that. Hope it helps..
Patricia

@Patricia_nl 

Unfortunately, document sets will not work in this situation.  I am trying to create a view of the folders that does not have the Teams channel folders in it.  In other words, I am trying to create a view that excludes the folders created in association with a Teams channel.  

We have teams that would like to have this view for easier navigation, especially since we now have the In channels view in Document libraries.  However, I cannot seem to make this happen.  

I do not have the "edit in grid view" button on the Files tab in teams, and when I try it on a sharepoint tab, I get the same error.  

Ideally, Microsoft would give us only the Channels on the In Channels drop down and only the Folders on the SharePoint site in the In Site library drop down but it doesn't seem to work that way on my views.  If it were set up this way, I wouldn't need to do this edit at all because it would already be done for me.  

You can make al view without folders? In that case you can edit the metadata on the files in the section Site library (not sure if that's that term in English). That's an option when editing- or creating a new view.

@Patricia_nl Has there been an updates on this, I've just noticed that my automation to mark teams folder to be archived by our archiver now fails as it cannot apply metadata to these folders, also trying to view the folders in SharePoint shows an error. it seems Microsoft have completely broken teams connected folders, not being able to apply metadata to these folders is a huge issue for us. 

@amelsom1985 I cannot find changes on the roadmap what could explain that 

I have recently experienced this issue. I was able to make changes to folders with existing data in the metadata fields under In channels and In site library, however I couldn't add new metadata to one existing channel root folder.

This lasted a couple days, but this morning, after trying a few times again, it suddenly became possible to view the additional metadata fields in the folder details under In channels just now - as was in the middle of writing this reply. I still cannot edit the metadata for folders under In site library

So I certainly cannot answer this, other than to corroborate the error experienced, and unexpectedly report that my instance of it was suddenly resolved.