trying to share folder with guest, but access denied.

Iron Contributor

I create sharing link of folder with anyone can edit permission.

But result was, you do not have permission, and access denied.

WHY?

59 Replies
Juhyun, it is hard to tell with the info you provided. If you were able to generate the link - looks like you have appropriate external sharing enabled. Try another browser or user. Also, sometime I noticed that when you share folders, it actually tries to render the whole library - so make sure other site assets (logo, etc) are available to those who you are sharing with.

Greg,

I wish I could give you more info.

But it is simple as I wrote above.

I made folder shareing link with "anyone can edit" permission on sharepoint site.

But when I use that link, it says: Accenss denied. You do not have permission... blah blah...

It is not browser problem.

Hi @주현 김,

I am one of the Program Managers working on sharing in SPO and ODB. Can I get a few extra details about the problem you're seeing? Are you creating/copying the link inside of the SPO/ODB web experience or is it happening in Office?

Also, is it possible to get a screenshot of the error screen you are seeing? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

I attached screenshot, but everything is in Korean.

Let me translate this for you.

I created link from sharepoint site, document library, with "edit - no need to login" option.

And I copied that link, and that link has "guestaccess" word in it, as you can see.

When I try that link in different browser, which is not logged in to sharepoint site, it says;

Access denied;

You do not have permission to access this resource.

Link creation from sharepoint libraryLink creation from sharepoint librarycreated link which has guest access optioncreated link which has guest access optionaccess denied.access denied.

Hi @주현 김,

Thanks for posting these screenshots. Nothing is leaping out to me that might be ocurring. I will send you a private message so we can discuss via e-mail. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Bit late, but from what we've seen this functionality is only available for files, not folders.

Allowing an authenticated user to share a folder to external users with anonymous access, then preventing the invited user from accessing the site seems a bit half baked..

Perhaps disallowing this or a message within the site would be helpful Microsoft?

Hi All,

When I try to share some file with user who does not have access to the library, I get the error attached in the screenshot. Please help.

@Stephen Rice wrote:

Hi @주현 김,

Thanks for posting these screenshots. Nothing is leaping out to me that might be ocurring. I will send you a private message so we can discuss via e-mail. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Hi Omi,

The error you are seeing is expected. You have configured a link that only works for one set of users, and then attempting to send that link to a user who doesn't have permission. To fix this, click on the link options at the top and enter the user you want to share with in the People Picker in the Link Settings page. We're also working on some improvements to make this flow more understandable to users. Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice

Thank you Stephen

I am still getting this as well. 

It's strange. Our test tenant is good. I am able to share an entire folder with a guest link to an anonymous user, but my production tenant with the same sharing settings gives me this access denied error that @주현 김 is getting. However, i am able to share files from the same place with no issue. 

Please help --> Maybe explain exactly what is required to allow this. 

Hi @Joshua Henderson,

To confirm, you are trying to create and send an anonymous link to a folder (in a OneDrive or in a SharePoint site?) and are seeing an error message. When you try to share a link to a file, it works fine. One possibility, in the admin center, we have a feature that lets you disable anonymous edit links for folders. If you've flipped that switch, it could explain this behavior. Can you confirm that this feature is not enabled? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Yes sir. 

I'm trying to create and send an anonymous link to a folder in OneDrive, and the same happens for SharePoint, when I get the error. And yes, when I try to share file via the same means I have no issue.

I have both OneDrive for Business and SharePoint sharing folders set to view, edit, and upload.

Hi @Joshua Henderson,

Very odd. Can you paste a screenshot of the error you see when you try and get the anonymous link? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

As you can see in the screenshot below I am not getting an error obtaining the link. However, I (anyone) get Access Denied when accessing the folder from this link.

Capture.PNG

Hi Joshua,

I can see that the link has an expiration value on it. Can you check and make sure the expiration is after the current date? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

HI @Joshua Henderson,

I wonder if the clue is in the error message. "your work or school account". I'm getting this kind of errors quite often as I switch between 5 tenant all day long. Could it be that a Microsoft account that isn't connected to your production tenant is picked up?

Have you tried opening the link in a differnt browser? Or maybe even a different machine/device?

I just created the link when I replied, and the expiration was Oct. 13. Today is Oct 4th.

@Pieter Veenstra thanks for the reply!

You are right. I was thinking that to at first, but I've been testing with creating the link in Chrome, and then opening IE InPrivate Browser to navigate to the link (not logged in). And vice versa. 

I have also created guest links on folders in the same format in our test tennant and it works with no problems.

@Joshua Henderson

Thanks for confirming. That's definitely odd. If you're clicking on an anonymous link, you shouldn't actually be prompted to sign-in at all so that shouldn't be the issue.

Can you contact me at srice@microsoft.com and we can debug further? Thanks!

Stephen Rice