trying to share folder with guest, but access denied.

Iron Contributor

I create sharing link of folder with anyone can edit permission.

But result was, you do not have permission, and access denied.

WHY?

59 Replies

@Stephen Rice Per your last comment I am actually not even being asked to login. It just immediately gives me that access denied message. This is from another browser, not logged in to any account.

@Stephen Rice / @Pieter Veenstra,

Stephen suggested checking “Limited-access user permission lockdown mode” enabled? It’s configured in Site settings->Site Collection Features. Because this does not allow folder sharing. 

This was in fact the issue and I'm good to go. 

Thank you all for the assistance!

Great, follow through. Changing the Limited-access user permission lockdown mode setting worked for me. Thanks!

I just run into this today. The solution is exactly as @Joshua Henderson described with the help of @Pieter Veenstra

What's very extrange is that in my case was with a new site collection with external and anonymous access. It's not documented anywhere. 

I manage a parent site, with multiple subsites. All subsites that had external links were no longer working today for our outside partners. Stumbled upon this thread and it saved us!!! What I don't get is how this "limited-access user lockdown mode" was enabled/activated in the first place! Thank you for posting!!!

I have the same problem. I want to share something from the onedrive android app, click on share via email, send the link and it doesnt work. very annoying.

@Alexander Wuttke, can you confirm that the "Limited access mode" is disabled for the site containing the document you are trying to share? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Hello,

I’m creating an anonymous sharing link to a One Drive sub-folder.  No expiration.  OneDrive admin and SharePoint admin settings for sharing are set properly to allow external sharing of folders for view, upload, edit.  Limited-access user permission lockdown mode is disabled in the top-level site collection features.

In another browser and on another machine, I’m receiving the very same access denied error mentioned by folks in this thread.

Are there any other settings to check?  Please advise.

Thanks!

Hi @Scott Smith,

Make sure you have anonymous sharing enabled at both the tenant level and at the site collection level. If you are sharing from a Group-connected site, you will need to turn on anonymous links using PowerShell as well. Let me know if that doesn't solve things!

Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Hi @Stephen Rice,

I'm attempting to only share a folder in my Onedrive for Business, so no group connected sharing as far as I know.  I attached screenshots of my current settings.  The only discrepancy that I can perceive is the auto-expiration option at tenant level.  It is currently at 30 whereas no limit in other settings (I think).  Either way the sharing links that I created are only a couple days old.  I'd appreciate any additional input!

Cheers!

PS - I could only attach 3 items in this reply.  The fourth would have showed that the "limited-access user permissions lockdown mode" is not active.

Hi Scott,

Nothing is jumping out to me as being the issue. Can you PM me so we can debug further? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Hi @Stephen Rice,

I have the same problem as in this thread. I was hoping this was the solution but no.

Guest user link gets access denied, no login prompt. Same as this thread. "You do not have permission to access this resource." It acts a bit strange though.

If I open the link in a browser where I am logged in to a different 365 tenant it first shows the folder contents, then after 1-2 seconds goes to "HTTP 500 Internal Server error" and the URL contains accessDenied.aspx. If I open the same link when not logged in I get the access denied page straight away.

Also users have been able to share some folders from the same path successfully with anonymous links. I don't see any difference between these folders in usage rights. I am not able to share successfully using admin account.

I have checked that the limited access setting (disabled), sharing anonymously enabled for site and tenant with no restrictions. I create a lot of SharePoint online sites and have never stumbled across this problem before, very strange.

Best regards,

Meri

Hi @Meri Miettinen,

That's definitely odd! Can you send me a PM with more details? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Hi,

Seems they had server-side issue that is being solved today. 

Thanks for your reply though,

Meri

Glad to hear it got solved! Thanks @Meri Miettinen!

Stephen Rice

Having the same issue here. Checked all of the above. "Limited-access user permission lockdown mode" is not activated on site or library. Trying to share a file and a folder with external user via Direct Link. Previously shared two other files successfully with this same person, files from the same library, with same permission levels, and those two are working fine. 

Can't figure this out and we have a deadline of tomorrow for her to get in and get this data. Any ideas?

Hi @Julie Hernandez,

That doesn't sound good at all! You're sending a "link that works for only specific people", and then entering their e-mail address, right? Can you try going through the "copy link" flow with the same settings & see if that helps?

Stephen Rice

This might seem like dumb question, but how does the site know the recipient is the one allowed to view the page? I copied the link and emailed it, but how does that keep things secure, if it were mailed to the wrong person? The recipient is not required to login, with the direct link. 

Yes, I sent the "link...specific people" and received the warning that the person is not in my organization...but I allowed external sharing via SP admin page, and the other links worked previously.
So copying the link and emailing it directly seemed to work. Thanks @Stephen Rice!