trying to enable publishing infra inside communication site collection gives error

Iron Contributor

trying to enable publishing infra inside communication site collection gives error

Is it ususal or its a bug.

thanks

10 Replies

It raises a good question - are publishing features needed in Communication sites? If not, should the feature be removed?

It also raises the question if publishing sites will still be required in the future.

I was also wondering why do you require to enable publishing in a communication site...

When I tried to enable the Site Collection publishing feature, I got an error that indicated this was not possible. See screenshot below. Is it disabled by default because it is a Communication site?

SiteCollectionPublishingFeatureError.PNG

So I tried to enable the Site publishing feature but, correctly, it would not work because the Site Collection feature was not enabled (in the past, on on-prem sites, we found that site owners would sometimes enable this without the Site Collection feature enabled). See screenshot below.

SitePublishingFeatureError.PNG

So perhaps the errors are correct, even if not very informative.

I am considering activating the publishing features, so that I can have access to the managed metadata navigation in my new communication site.

It would be nice to use navigation from publishing features as well.  I was attempting to add publishing for that reason when I got the error.

You can use PowerShell to activate it.
PnP code: Enable-PnPFeature -Identity f6924d36-2fa8-4f0b-b16d-06b7250180fa -Scope Site

Thanks Velin. It worked. 

@Velin Georgiev Hey, I was able to activate the feature at the -site collection level but when I try to activate the Publishing feature at the -web level, I keep getting;

"Provisioning did not succeed. Details: Failed to initialize some site properties for Web at Url: 'https://vaughnconstruction.sharepoint.com/sites/Development_Comm' OriginalException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

What's missing? Any thoughts?

@JTamez  This code should work 

Enable-PnPFeature -Identity 94c94ca6-b32f-4da9-a9e3-1f3d343d7ecb -Scope Web

Connect-PnPOnline -url https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/Publishing
Enable-PnPFeature -Identity dffaae84-60ee-413a-9600-1cf431cf0560 -force
Enable-PnPFeature -Identity 22a9ef51-737b-4ff2-9346-694633fe4416 -force
Enable-PnPFeature -Identity f6924d36-2fa8-4f0b-b16d-06b7250180fa -force -Scope site
Enable-PnPFeature -Identity 94c94ca6-b32f-4da9-a9e3-1f3d343d7ecb -force -Scope web