Troubleshooting Modern View

Iron Contributor

I have a list that currently shows in Classic view and I want to switch to Modern view.  Even though I have the option to "Exit Classic View" and click that, my view does not change.  I've cleared my cookies, restarted my browser, made sure the Library Settings were at New experience and checked to make sure there are no web parts or custom coding on the page where the list resides. All to no avail! 

Anyone have any idea why I can't get to the Modern view?  Thank you.  

7 Replies
There are some features that are not supported in modern which will cause the library to default back to classic. The list of these is dwindling as new capability is added so if you are using these and can achieve using other features then try turning them off. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/differences-between-the-new-and-classic-experiences-for-lis...
What is your base list type when it was created? Task list, calendar etc?

It is a migrated custom list. 

Try creating a new view for your list and making it default. Sometimes when you migrate those old view aspx files come over and you need to just have it generate new view file for it.

Thanks so much!  My team and I actually did some troubleshooting earlier today and found that creating only a PERSONAL view did, in fact, help.  We could then go into modern view.  But, ONLY each person who created a personal view could see modern.  Those that did not create a view were stuck in Classic view.  This is still a problem for our organization because we can't expect our users to build their own views in order to access their content.  But, thanks for the clue.  We are continuing to look into this issue. 

If that's the case then you should be able to easily just recreate a view and no mark it personal, make it shared, and make it default to fix it?

I'll try that!  Thanks, Christopher -- so much for your attention to this question and for the others who've added ideas.