Translating SharePoint pages with built-in Edge translation features not working as expected

Iron Contributor

Hi everyone

Am hoping someone can please help with the translation features now built-in to Edge. We are very keen to try to use these to enable our users to choose to translate SharePoint news and other pages into their preferred language.

We have tried going to the Language settings in Edge and choosing "Offer to translate pages that aren't in a language I read":

language settings.PNG

We would hope this would then display the Language button in Edge next to the Favourites button, meaning users can choose a language to translate into:

Choose Language.PNG

One colleague DOES see this appear but a bunch of us do not. Has anyone any thoughts on this at all? Is it possible to activate it for all?

@Kamal_Upadhyay are you able to help at all please?!

6 Replies
Very interesting scenario here that I'm not very sure if it's possible with SharePoint and a modern browser (Edge, Google Chrome). I would say it's not possible, but curious to see your findings here
Hi Laurie, this is the exact thing which we are trying right now (no success yet). Have you had any succes yet with configuring this?

@Laurie Willis @Laurie Willis Microsoft Translator option in Edge browser is not dependent on SharePoint language settings.

Generally, if you open a page written in a different language than your preferred languages in browser settings, Edge will automatically prompt you to translate it.

If it does not prompt, you can still manually translate webpage using the browser settings. Check this documentation for more information: Use Microsoft Translator in Microsoft Edge browser 

From above link:

The Translate icon appears in the address bar when you go to a web page that’s written in a foreign language. A language is considered foreign to you if it's not included in your Preferred languages list in Settings. To add or remove languages from the list, in Microsoft Edge, go to Settings and more > Settings Languages.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap This is understood, the question is why does it appear only sometimes.

@AnetaKotucha From our research we found it was dependent on the type of content on the page. It appears for news pages and other text prominent pages, not for home pages and similar. Also only works on modern not classic. This is only our non-confirmed findings.

We have created a set of (modern) SharePoint communcation sites, most of them with language set to English, but some of them are meant to include text in languages other than English.

And such - few sites are created with language set to Chinese.

I have added now text in Chinese to one of those sites and also created 1 news post in Chinese language. Headers of webparts are also now all in Chinese language.

When I now open this site in the Edge browser of a user with 3 languages configered, but none of them Chinese, I still don't get to see the translate option poping up.

Edge browser has the option enabled: "Offer to translate pages that aren't in a language I read".

However, I think I found a workable solution.
When you right click the page you're on, you will get the option "Translate to ... " (English in my case). When you use it the site gets translated.

I'll go on and see if that works for all sites.

If someone has a better solution, please let me know.

@AnetaKotucha It should work for all site. Right click > Translate to English option is available for all sites (even sites with English language).

This option is available on Chrome browser as well.

Please consider giving a Like if my post helped you in any way.