Transfer Files/Folders from Old SP to New SP.

Brass Contributor
Hello All, If anyone knows, this will help out majorly. We have SharePoint 2007 I believe onsite but we are switching to SharePoint Online (Huge upgrade!). There are a few massive document libraries, Can I save the library as a template and upload the library/picture library to the new site without having to recreate the massive library? This will literally save me a week to two weeks of data entry.
6 Replies

No, but you can use a variety of tools to copy the contents for you. ShareGate, Metalogix, BitTitan and MS Fast Track center are all options.

What is your definition of "massive"?

I guess not massive technically. Its all those folders. They have folders a-z and under each folder has 60-1000 folders with barely any files in it. Im more worried about making all the folders. I can connect to the sharepoint server and see the files but you cant drag and drop folders into the new sharepoint. You have to create them manually. Would those programs also work for list and list data?

Yes, they can migrate almost anything (custom apps are typically not able to be migrated). They will keep the original created/modified info. You can use them to flatten folder structures by converting folders to metadata column if desired (this is frequently a good idea). They can also reorganize and split large libraries into multiple target locations (so you can split out obsolete data or meet new business requirements)

Here is one option, https://www.metalogix.com/solution/sharepoint-office-365-migrations

Thanks, I might try out Sharegate. Its free trial and will get the job done. Most of the site is already dont, just a few heavy lifting lists/libraries.
Bear in mind that doing this kind of work with trial versions of software does not guarantee you everything is going migrated as expected...do you have an estimate of the amount of data to be migrated?

Take a look at the Data Migration guidance in the O365 Admin Center under the Setup menu. It describes several different approaches and walks you through the whole migration process.