The link can't be sent because at least one recipient isnt valid

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

When I try to share to "specific people" from OneDrive or SharePoint online I get an error message "The link can't be sent because at least one recipient isn't valid"
It happens with all external users and with all my users in the tenant who try to share with "Specific People"

Any ideas?

Thank you.

37 Replies

Hi @quizhead,

Can you post a screenshot (with e-mails blurred out of course :) ) so I can help troubleshoot? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

@Stephen Rice 

I just copied an image from this community but it's the same with me

error.JPG

Hi @quizhead,

Can you try hitting "Ctrl + K" and see what happens? It looks like the e-mail is unresolved. Let me know if that fixes it (as that will help confirm what the bug is). Thanks!

Stephen Rice

@Stephen Rice 

Thank you for the answer I just don't understand where to press CTRL+K.
Also it happens with all external users and happening to all the user in tenant.

Seems like something is happening at the backend.

Hi @quizhead,

I'm sorry, you would hit Ctrl+K while the cursor is in the e-mail address box. The fact that everyone is seeing this though is odd! Can you reach out to me via private message as well and send me a Fiddler trace by chance? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

@quizhead 

Could you specify which browser you are using.. I would suggest trying to share using I.E or Edge...

Secondly try removing the external user from O365 admin center.. they should be marked with #ext# in the username...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3026385/how-to-remove-users-from-sharepoint-online

Once the user is removed try to share the file/folder again...

Thanks

Robin Nishad

@Robin Nishad 

Thank you for the answer.

It happens all around regardless the browser nor when it's in SP or OD.
It's like that something in backend is not turned on or something.
I also used PnP to connect to SP and tried to see the external users and there aren't any users besides one and with him it works.

There are no *EXE* users in the admin.

@quizhead 

In this case we can try the other way around.. you can try to add the external user as guest user in Azure AD and then try sharing the link using SPO or OD...

Thanks

Robin Nishad

@Robin Nishad 

The problem is that the problem happens all around.
It's like something is not enabled in the tenant

@Stephen Rice 

Hi, i've sent a privet email as requested

@quizhead 

I resolved my problem by clicking to add another share.

I think it was looking for a carriage return at the end of the line

@quizhead did you ever figure this out?  I'm having the same problem even though SharePoint admin settings for the tenant (and that specific site) are set to allow external sharing.

@Brian_Klish_work 

Hi, sorry for the late response.

Back then I escalated the case and the technical support did something in the background and I don't know what is it.

Sorry I can't help.

@quizhead 

I figured it out.  The email was being used as a recovery email for self-service password reset or MFA.  That causes this error.  It's really quite dumb.  Thanks for getting back to me.

@Brian_Klish_work Had exactly the same problem. Just make sure you hit Enter/Carriage Return after each email address and problem solved.

Thank you, @TheMonkZa!!! Very much appreciated. I was beating my head against the wall.
Thanks. That worked for me as well.

@Stephen Rice  I am having this problem as well.  I type in the email for an external user and it keeps bringing up my name.  People talked about hitting enter after typing in the email but that just resolves to me.  It looks like I have permissions set up correctly but it just doesn't share.  onedrive sharing.jpg

@DougDMLG type ; (semicolumn- after the email address -it fixed mine