The Google Team Drive to O365 Sharepoint problematic.

Copper Contributor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to migrate a G-Suite Team Drive to O365 is to move it to a SharePoint.

And I know, I know, SharePoint can do way more things than a Google Team Drive.

BUT, as a G-suite administrator that has been forced to move to O365 3 months ago, there is a lot of little irritating things that I think can make the user experience way better in O365 if Microsoft could solve them.

First, O365 should offer the possibility to use SharePoint as a Google Team drive or create a "Team OneDrive".

Not everybody needs a webpage, a Teams portal etc etc. I think a lot of company like ours, only need a collaborative and manageable online cloud solution as Google Team drive. 

Second, What about all that confusion between Sharepoint/OneDrive/OneDrive for business?

Trying to explain to a G-Suite end-user that " Their Team Drive documents will be migrated to a SharePoint space, but will also be Onedrive space but not exactly a OneDrive because they are not exactly the same, and it will be accessible by the SharePoint Site, and then if you follow it with that little star you will be able to access it by your OneDrive interface, and then if you download the desktop app, etc etc etc... " This is painful.  I mean it should be way more simple and effective to get a collaborative storage solution in O365! 

Third " The file ... is locked for shared use by <the same user> " . and then you'll have to wait 10 minutes to move the file... Ok, I've read a lot of thread about this known issue and I'm trying to understand why is it so hard for Microsoft to solve it! 

This is how it is impacting user productivity:  lets say User X want to re-organize it SharePoint documents online, he got that file name "Summer.xls", User X doesn't remember what is that document,  so he opens the file online and look at it, he closes it back to move it in the right folder, but he got the infamous error message and have to wait 10min to move it in the right folder... In 10 min he will be doing something else and will totally forget to move back that file....

And finally: speed. In G-suite Team Drive if you change file permission, or edit it online everything is instant. There is no waiting time for the permission to apply of no 30sec-1min delay for the file to update. And at the moment, I can't say that O365 tools are as fast as the Google one. 

I think SharePoint is a great and powerful tool, but Microsoft has to make a tool more equivalent, instinctive and simple to end-user, a kind of collaborative OneDrive without user ownership and manageable by O365 Admins. 

2 Replies
Correct, when you are thinking on migrating from Drive to Office 365 the destination containers are SharePoint Online (SPO) and OneDrive For Business (ODFB)

@jftellier 

I could not agree more, the MS experience is painful and such a barrier to acceptance. File persmissions in the MS world are just ridiculous, for a cloud based solution it is imperative that this is easy and quick and it is neither in MS world.

(I challenge anyone to write protect any doc inserted into the content library of a Class Notebook)