SOLVED

Team Site Left Navigation Column Not Visible to Site Members

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I have a SharePoint Online Team Site with multiple links in the left navigation column that only the Site Administrators can see. Site Owners and Members only see the "Home" link in the navigation column. I activated the Site Collection Features > SharePoint Sever Publishing Infrastructure and corresponding Site Actions > Manage Site Features > SharePoint Server Publishing features. The 'custom script' setting is enabled and the Quick Launch setting is enabled and I've removed and re-created the navigation links. Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thank you in advance for any assistance,

PLove

4 Replies
Any reason why you enabled those features? They are not required for quick launch nav. Where do the links go. Somewhere on same site? Those links are security trimmed by default so if they don’t have access to the content they will not show up for others. Also check and make sure audience targeting didn’t get enabled since you will have to add security groups to the links in order for those to show up but they should t show for owner in that case unless in edit mode. Anyway. Curious to know a bit more in the link locations.

Also had this awhile back I’d have to research back where someone had similar issue and finally figured it out and it was something odd that caused it. Gonna send a note to check tomorrow if it was this same issue as well.

@Chris Webb 

Hi Chris,
Thank you for responding! Responses to your questions are below.

(1) One of the articles I read, while researching this issue, 'recommended enabling those Site Settings.'

(2) Links in the Quick Launch go to individual folders in a document library on the same site.

(3) Audience targeting was enabled and I disabled it yesterday.

(4) I did find an article with a similar issue that occurred in 2010, but I believe it had something to do with customization of the site's master page, https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/33920/left-nav-only-appearing-for-site-collection-adm....

I realized something this morning as well. When I submitted the site to Members for review on 8/28, they were able to see and access the links in the left nav column.

Thanks again,
Patti

best response confirmed by PLove59 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Do those people have access to the links in the menu thou? Send a link that's on the left to someone that doesn't see them, and see if they can click and access. Are the links to libraries you trimmed security on, meaning do they not have access to the root of the library it's in etc.?
My apologies for the late reply. I discovered the issue and resolved it. The links in the left nav column point to files that were migrated into SharePoint from a different file server. The permissions migrated to SharePoint with the files as well and only Users with access to the respective files are able to see the links in the left nav column. My mistake, I didn't realize that the permissions would migrate into SharePoint with the files. Thank you for your time and assistance.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by PLove59 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Do those people have access to the links in the menu thou? Send a link that's on the left to someone that doesn't see them, and see if they can click and access. Are the links to libraries you trimmed security on, meaning do they not have access to the root of the library it's in etc.?

View solution in original post