SOLVED

Team-ify a SPO Group connected site

Bronze Contributor

I was starting to test this feature and saw something that confused me. I have 2 group sites that were created outside of Microsoft Teams - one created through standard SPO 'create team' and selecting a team site, and one that was created from Planner when I created a plan from the Planner hub at https://tasks.office.com.

I've noticed that my site created in SPO has the 'Create a team' prompt on the bottom left of the home page, which is what I expected.

However, my site that was created from Planner does not show the 'create a team' prompt. No one has dismissed the prompt, I'm the only one testing these sites. I can create a team starting from Teams - I see the site if I create a team from an existing group. But I'd like to see the prompt on the site home page as well.

Is there something different about a team site started from a Plan and a team site started from SPO?

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Robin Nilsson (Bronze Contributor)
Solution
Seems to be a bug IMHO...the Teamify experience should be the same in both cases
That's what I figured as well - just wasn't sure if there was some kind of 'originated from' type of flag. Off to enter some feedback...
Have you by chance tried to do this after waiting some time? Maybe up to an hour? I’m wondering if the case here is because of the whole backend job that takes group owners and applies them as site collection admins to the connected site. When creating from SharePoint this happens I think immediately and might be delayed with planner group creation and that site collection permissions. Is delayed.

Just a hunch. Curious if you’ve gone back or gave it some time in that planned create instance.
Yes, its been quite awhile. In fact, I created both the group sites last week, or maybe the week before that, specifically to test the teamify process. I was actually surprised to see the create team prompt show up - I was waiting for this feature to show up in our tenant.

Maybe I created these sites before the backend processing rolled out fully. I can create 2 new sites tomorrow and see if I get the same results.
Na. Don’t bother. Shouldn’t matter. Was just a hunch. It should work on new and old sites. Thanks for response ;)
Lol. The joys of being online - sitting at home, watching Star Trek Into Darkness, and creating sites from my iPad :)
And guess what. It worked!. My SPO site that came from my Planner group has the prompt.
So it does work as expected. And I did check the site - all looked appropriate - I was in the group as member and owner (at least I showed up in both members/owners), and the owners group was coded to site admin as well.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Robin Nilsson (Bronze Contributor)
Solution
Seems to be a bug IMHO...the Teamify experience should be the same in both cases

View solution in original post