SOLVED

Synced files from Teams document library are in OneDrive?

Brass Contributor

In Microsoft Teams (Business Premium) when in a document library (via Files, Open in SharePoint), if I choose Sync then the files download local to my system but not directly into my ODFB folder; they land in a sub-folder that is not "inside" my ODFB home folder and thus not visible via "My Files" in OneDrive online. If I look at the ODFB Storage Metrics, those files are considered to be in ODFB since they count against my overall 2TB quota.
Is there any way to get those SharePoint files directly "into" my OneDrive short of moving them there which would kick off a sync (of 80GB of files...not good).
I asked a similar question on the OneDrive forum but so far no responses.
Thanks!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by kvaden357 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@kvaden357 

No there isn't, these files are stored in SharePoint and that is the storage that Teams uses.  The files won't download to your computer when pressing sync, it will just take a copy of the file structure and places it in Windows explorer(cloud icons). You can take a copy of the files by right clicking and choosing keep on this device(green solid ticks) but the master files will always be in SharePoint. 

@kvaden357 

Hello,

You can use the browser and move the data, but 80 GB is a lot of files and you probably losing some of the files because usually process stucking after couple of minutes.

I highly recommend to use one of these softwares:

Mover: https://mover.io/

ShareGate: https://sharegate.com/

Hope this resolve your issue :)

Alireza

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by kvaden357 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@kvaden357 

No there isn't, these files are stored in SharePoint and that is the storage that Teams uses.  The files won't download to your computer when pressing sync, it will just take a copy of the file structure and places it in Windows explorer(cloud icons). You can take a copy of the files by right clicking and choosing keep on this device(green solid ticks) but the master files will always be in SharePoint. 

View solution in original post