sync specific folders in sharepoint and laptop pc

Copper Contributor

Good day to everyone,

Can someone assist what is the best way to sync desktop files to sharepoint online, specific folder only, not all folders.

Appreciate your help.

Best Regards,

Barry

12 Replies

Is there any other way to do it?

thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Barry

The official SharePoint sync client is OneDrive and it has the option to sync selectively only some folders (apart from the Files On-Demand feature, which could perhaps also be useful to you).

Why are you seeking other alternatives?

Hello @Salvatore Biscari,

I was trying selective sync from SharePoint. I've noticed that, the prompt to select folders doesn't show up by default. The only way to access it by going to OneDrive Sync client Settings ->Account and then choose folders.

Is this an expected behavior? If not, can you please let me know if it used to prompt?

Thank you.

I'm having the same issue and it's frustrating because once it starts syncing with all the folders, it doesn't stop smoothly. Has anyone found a solution?

Hi, 

I caused some folders to stop syncing permanently by mistake. Could you let me know how can I undo this? 

I used to have three folders in the sharepoint drive in my PC synced with Microsoft Teams. One day, I synced the whole library but it got stuck for days, so I decided to sync one folder at at time. I did this by selecting 'Stop syncing a folder...' and then removing the two folders so that one folder is left to sync. I tried to sync the next two folders but it's not working. Instead, the folders have been coverted to static folders/files so syncing is no longer possible. Any amount of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You could try this.
1. Delete those static folders since you can just restore them when you resync on the web.
2. Go to the SharePoint site connected to your Teams. Do this by going to your Teams App then going to Files tab and click "Open in SharePoint."
3. Navigate to the folder/document area you would like to sync on SharePoint.
4. Click the sync button on the toolbar (near where you would find + New or Upload doc).
5. OneDrive should pop-up and ask which folders you'd like to sync. Select them and click Ok.
6. Your files from Teams will now be synced to your File Explorer.

Thanks, Richard.  I tried but it's not working.

Inside the Teams app, I went to the specific folder that I want to add a sharepoint link to my PC (Folder 2), then clicked 'Open in SharePoint'.  After clicking the sync button, there is no prompt to select the folder. The only option is to 'sync now' and it is only syncing the existing folder (Folder 1). Did we miss a step?

Junpy, go to your OneDrive Settings and see if Files-On-Demand feature is unchecked. Make sure to turn that option off.

By the way, what is the relationship of Folder 1 and Folder 2?

hi Richard, I am using Onedrive for business and I do not see an option to go to the settings to check that feature. any advice?

there is no relationship between folder 1 and 2. they are completely different teams in Microsoft Teams or separate folders in SharePoint.

Try updating to the latest OneDrive software.
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=851311

Hi, I'm having the same exact challenge and wondered if anyone has had any success with selective sync'ing folders.  Some of our users are sync'ing almost 100 group sites and only need certain files, but it's very time consuming to uncheck folders once the sync begins, and I'm getting several errors trying to uncheck folders through the OneDrive settings.