Strategy for Schema of an SP List Storing & Building A Meeting Agenda

Copper Contributor

At the bottom of this post is an image of a meeting agenda in a Word doc

The goal here is to build and generate and store the content of a meeting agenda "in SharePoint".

I know the details for creating lists and even writing scripts and REST requests (prior to use of Power Apps) to use list item data to generate Word docs (using a library that works with HTML markup) but what I want to know here is how you would actually construct the main SP list (columns and items) for this. The users may also want to look directly at the list itself (I will try to create pages/forms for better views), so one might bear that in mind.

Note that a meeting agenda is a multi-level (ordered) list. At the main level are Agenda heading with Arabic numerals 1, 2, 3, ...  At the next level are meeting section "items" listed with lowercase alpha (a., b. c., ...). At the 3rd level you have even more items, in some cases ordered with lowercase roman numerals (i., ii., iii., iv., ...) or as unordered lists with bullet points. These are the customer's preferences.  In one case, there is a section with data from a service request ticket system: I will make a separate SP list for those and link the list item ID with the list item ID of the main list item to which it is associated.

The question is: how would you structure the main list? What will an item represent? Will it be at the 1st, 2nd or 3rd level? If at third level, you clearly must have list columns which will have non-unique values for the 1st and 2nd level. The question is how you will KEY your items. You could key your items on the date of the meeting, but the SP list for levels 1, 2 and 3 would be impossible to put in a list: most likely you would have a single column of multi-line rich text type and that would make not a good list construction.  (I realize that the ultimate key for all SP lists is the system-controlled ID column.)  Note that for developer purposes I am going to have an undisplayed list column of multi-line type with JSON in it to describe the agenda item and its multi-level content.

What would be your schema for the list here for the meeting agenda?

-------- begin image of agenda --------

Capture.PNG

-------- end image of agenda --------

0 Replies