SOLVED

Stop sharing document with users!

Iron Contributor

Hi

I have a document which was shared from inside SP whith 3 other users. Now I need to stop sharing it with one of these users but I can't find where I can stop it.

I can stop sharing the document with everyone (which I don't want) or keep sharing it with all 3 users.

Where I can stop sharing it with this user?

Regards

Americo

8 Replies
On the eclipse menu of the document, you have the option called 'Details' (or select document then on toolbar select 'i'). The detail pane will come up which will show you who 'Has Access'. Click on manage access and then remove the user from there.
Depends which link type you generated when you shared it. If you used the anyone with this link, and sent it to those individuals when you remove the link the access stops for all. If you used "Specific People link" then as Tanya said you should be able to remove them from the link directly.

Thanks to both!

But I can't see the "Has access" link.

I shared the document by selecting it and clicked "Share" button at the top of the document library and I searched for at couple of users.

UPDATE: I think I know what I am doing wrong. I used to choose the folder containing the documents and then the share button. I tested by selectin a document from the folder and shared it and I can see the link to administrate the users that are sharing the document.

Now here is the question, id the library has 100 documents how can I share all the documents without selecting all the 100? Is not possible to select the parent folder and share it?

Regards

Americo

Yes, you can select the folder and share that folder using the same method. However, i have seen a thread on here saying something about this not working. But I have shared folders and it seemed to work fine. Files inherit permissions from folders, folders from libraries, libraries from a site - at any point you can break the inherited permissions and set different permissions.

Hi,

Yes I tested that and its work.

The question arises when I have 5 users and I want to stop shring with one of them. When I go to Stop sharing I can't select one of the users and stop sharing with him/her but its stop sharing for all of them.

The scenarios is this, in case it helps to see my situation:

I have a audio library with several audiobooks. Each audio book is a folder containing several sound files. This audio library it has to be accessed by the students that needs to listen the books for that we want to share the library of a specific book with the student and not give some special permission in the library itself. That's why I want to share the specific book containing the audio files.

As you can understand there are several student that need to get access to the audio books so when I share I pickup more than student but at certain time in the future this sharing needs to stop.

I can stop the sharing for all students at once because it can be students that are not finished with the book yet, so I need pick up a specific student and stop sharing the book with him/her.

Right now if I stop sharing it stop sharing for everyone and that is not optimal.

Is there a way to pickup a specific user and stop sharing with him/her?

Regards

Americo

best response confirmed by Americo Perez (Iron Contributor)
Solution

HI, i have just tested the following. Created new library, 3 folders, all with docs in them.

2018-09-14_10-23-03.jpg

Shared folder1 and folder 2 using the 'Specific people' link setting and added users, one of which was 'Jordan'.

2018-09-14_10-15-45.jpg

Logged in as Jordan and he could see 1 & 2 and not 3.

2018-09-14_10-21-53.jpg

Went to 1 and removed 'Jordan'. 

2018-09-14_10-24-41.jpg

Logged back in as Jordan and he no longer could access 1.

2018-09-14_10-25-48.jpg

Hope I understood you correctly and this is of use.

Thanks Tanya

I am gonna repeat your steps to test it and I give you a feedback

/Americo

Hi again,

Yes it worked, it was me who was doing it wrong. 

Thanks for the images, they were very helpfull 

Best regards

Americo

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Americo Perez (Iron Contributor)
Solution

HI, i have just tested the following. Created new library, 3 folders, all with docs in them.

2018-09-14_10-23-03.jpg

Shared folder1 and folder 2 using the 'Specific people' link setting and added users, one of which was 'Jordan'.

2018-09-14_10-15-45.jpg

Logged in as Jordan and he could see 1 & 2 and not 3.

2018-09-14_10-21-53.jpg

Went to 1 and removed 'Jordan'. 

2018-09-14_10-24-41.jpg

Logged back in as Jordan and he no longer could access 1.

2018-09-14_10-25-48.jpg

Hope I understood you correctly and this is of use.

View solution in original post