SOLVED

Stop Opening Links in New Tabs

Iron Contributor

Hi everyone, 

Designing my next site model, and navigation automatically opens external links (even subsites or the parent, ie) in a new tab. This makes navigation difficult. Seems to me that I'm missing something, but maybe not. 

Any way to change this action? Thanks.

7 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
While I'm seeing this new tab pattern in many of the new stuff released by Microsoft (Groups are a clear example) IMHO is not happening on all Office 365...can you be more specific about your design? I assume you are using modern team sites and if so, I think the default behaviour by desing (just a guess) is to open links on new tab...however if you are still on classic SharePoint, this pattern is not happening...at least from my experience
Modern sites. This shouldn't be a hard thing to give the option on. Hoping it changes.
Not sure this will happen if they consider this is by design :(

I would hope they wouldn't expect navigation, even to sub/parent sites, to warrant a new window each time. External sites? Sure, I can see that. But shouldnt be to the sub/parent sites.

I'm seeing this as well. Very confusing and unintuitive.

I have posted an idea on the sharepoint uservoice addressing the issue.

Please vote it up to get some attention on it!

Thanks 

I'm seeing this also, it's going to make it challenging to get better users adoption.

I see that links now open in the same tab. However this is not always the right thing for all people. An option for the user to select opening in a new tab or not could be a setting. (I have looked and cannot find such a setting... However I may not be able to find it.) Is indeed it possible to allow this either as a browser wide setting or perhaps on a page by page by page basis? This may involve a slight design change.

I DO know however that sites can be coded to do this by the author of the site and it making this a browser wide setting may break site and he intended action of the author so perhaps it can be made to honor the authors intended action when it encounters a site so coded even if such a setting is available.

@Joe Fedorowicz 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
While I'm seeing this new tab pattern in many of the new stuff released by Microsoft (Groups are a clear example) IMHO is not happening on all Office 365...can you be more specific about your design? I assume you are using modern team sites and if so, I think the default behaviour by desing (just a guess) is to open links on new tab...however if you are still on classic SharePoint, this pattern is not happening...at least from my experience

View solution in original post