SOLVED

SPO site makes a call to browser.pipe.aria.microsoft.com

Copper Contributor

Hi!

We are developing a SPO site which will be mainly used by users on remote locations with satellite internet connection.

Satellite traffic is prioritized and it turned out that our site during loading makes calls to browser.pipe.aria.microsoft.com, and this traffic appears to have low priority which dramatically slows down the site loading speed.

We are trying to figure out which service on our site makes these calls and if is there any way to disable it. 

Might any of you happen to know anything about it?

We are using SharePoint Online, SaaS from MS Server

8 Replies

Hey @akhlebnikov ,

So, this domain seems to be sent from SharePoint to record some metrics from the client. Nothing you should worry about, IMO. I have it blocked in uBlock Origin and haven't noticed anything breaking due to that.

Microsoft doesn't seem to give a detailed clarification for what it uses this data for, but if you thorw this domain on google you'll notice other users getting hits to this address from different Microsoft products.

I believe you can block these requests and be just fine.

Regards,

@Carlos_Marins , thank you for reply!

It is a good idea for one particular machine, for mine, for example. And I'll try it.

But I won't be able to install the blocker on all the machines behind satellites.

Initially I wondered whether it is possible for the SPO site itself to stop making such requests. By disabling some feature in a menu, for example.

We are using SharePoint as SaaS from MS, which means functionality altering abilities are rather poor.

Hey @akhlebnikov ,

I understand it may be hard to block it on all machines. Are these machines running on a local network? If they're behing a firewall, assuming youo are the admin, you could block these requests there, so you wouldn't need to worry about the machines.

Regards

@Carlos_Marins 

I work in such a big company (and I'm not an admin), that it is impossible to do such global blocks, in terms of bureaucracy :) 

Still, I will definitely try uBlock, it seem to be a good workaround, at least temporal.

Thank you again!

@akhlebnikov You aren't going to see a significant improvement in speed by blocking these requests as they are asynchronous and very light. These requests are used so MSFT can keep metrics of events that are happening in the service, to help improve it.

If you have a slow down in your environment, I would look else where (TTFB, other web parts,etc..)

@Beau Cameron My guess is that even though these requests are light-weighted, still, due to low traffic priority they don't get processed at all and hence site not loading.
I will try to block these requests before they are initiated, it seems to make some sense.

best response confirmed by Filip_Bosmans (Microsoft)
Solution
ASync requests are non-blocking, meaning they won't prevent the site from loading even if the request is delayed.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Filip_Bosmans (Microsoft)
Solution
ASync requests are non-blocking, meaning they won't prevent the site from loading even if the request is delayed.

View solution in original post