SPO lists and the 5k view limit - what's your strategy?

Brass Contributor

We currently have about 10 SPO lists and they all are over the 5k view limit.  Even though we use views to show less than 5k, with no sorting and filtering on index created dates, we are still having a ton of issues:

• throttle messages
  • quick edit no longer works
  • trying to filter from the view itself just shows the spinning wheel
  • exporting to excel doesn't work on occasion as the list is too large

So how is everyone using SPO lists once you reach the limit.  Are you using it only as a data entry tool and then moving all data to another platform after it's entered.  Another wrinkle is I'm using Power BI to report on all these lists.  I also need to be able to access the list to make changes.

My columns are very wide, about 40 columns on some of them, could that be the big issue?

Love to hear your insights.

Thank you

2 Replies
The more columns you have in a list, the worse is going to be the performance and behavior when the list becames heavy...I think most of your problems are due to that amount of columns in the list...have you reviewed the lists indexes?

I@Juan Carlos González Martín 

I'll look into that.  Some other questions I have:

1.  Even though the lists are separate, are they still somewhat connected?  Meaning, if one list is being heavily used by multiple people, will that impact other lists?
  2. If my Power BI reports are all updating and pulling in new data from SPO at the same time, will that cause a performance issue?  I'm cutting back on when and the number of times PBI updates to see if that will help.