SPFX solution in site collection app catalog - breaks site for external user

Copper Contributor

SPFX solutions deployed to the site collection scoped app catalog (not the tenant app catalog) do not seem to work for external/guest users. In the case of an application customizer a blank page is displayed (effectively breaking the entire site), and in the case of a webpart the the component is not rendered on the page. The same SPFX solution works for non-external users OR if deployed to the tenant scoped app catalog. This affects modern sites but does not seem to affect modern pages on classic sites.

There is a workaround described at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint-Developer/Site-Collection-App-Catalog-External-Use... to grant external users read access to the tenant scoped app catalog, but this grants external users permissions that we would prefer to avoid.

A screenshot of the issue on a modern team site is shown below - note there seems to be an issue returning the HTML for the page as the response is truncated partway through the HTML Head tag:

modern-site-app-catalog-spfx.png

Has anyone else faced this issue and/or is there a resolution for this issue without having to grant external users access to the tenant app catalog?

4 Replies

We raised a support ticket with Microsoft for this issue and it has now been fixed.

Hi, we're still having this issue, the external users still cannot load SPfx component. Do you know what MS did as the fixed? 

Thank you much!

I don't have specifics on what was done to fix this but I did receive this from MS Support on the 7th of August: "The fix is currently rolling out to all tenants. While some tenants already have the fix deployed, [your tenant] is still not corrected yet. The full roll out can take up to 4 weeks, but we should have it applied to [your tenant] in a few days. Other tenants will have it soon as well (if they are not corrected already)."

Appreciate the reply, I'll look into that message. Thanks!