SP members not able to move files

Copper Contributor

Why SharePoint members not able to move file to another folder in the same library, they getting this message "unable to move the file to the destination because content approval is enabled on this library"

although the file status is approved, only the site owner can move the file, Has anyone run into the same problem? If yes, how was it resolved?

12 Replies
Uhassanin1605, was there any resolution to not being able to move files, some of my contacts can move files and some of them cannot, it seems very random and can't figure out why it's happening as well
unfortunately not yet

@uhassanin1605 I've tried deleting the folder and re-creating it.  I have 20+ people using the folders, and 3 of them are running into this problem.  Is all your users running into this problem?

I did the same I created new folder to test it, but also we had the same message for all site members

@uhassanin1605 

Does anyone have an update on this?

@Matttttox_22 

We are also experiencing the same issue since last week. 

@uhassanin1605 

Any progress on this issue? I have just had my first user bring this problem up-- would love to provide a solution!

Thanks!

-Eva

@Edombrowski 

the issue still unresolved, the workaround to use the Copy To function then delete the file

I'm seeing the same issue now after I created custom permissions, Contribute but with Delete item and Delete Version not checked. I wonder if it's the no delete option, since moving a file in SharePoint is basically deleting a file then recreating it in the new location. It's the same reason you'll get a High Volume Deletion email alert when you move a lot of files at once to a new location.
I'm not sure why the error would say it's about content approval, but after much testing, I only get that error when delete is unchecked.

@uhassanin1605 have you seen any updates on this issue??

I think I found the solution... Not sure if this will fit everyone's needs. And yes this will allow users to approve their own documents..... :(
Set the Approve Items permission for the permission level.
Just had this issue and found this sole setting for whatever reason allows the user to move a document to another folder.

I'm seeing this bug now on a list that was working fine before but only for some users - others can still see the move option. All users have edit permissions so this makes absolutely no sense and needs to be addressed by Msft asap.