SOLVED

SP list - Sort choice selections alphabetically when you edit a column?

Brass Contributor

I have a choice column with about 30 items.  I just added a couple of more items but now they are at the bottom of the list and I don't see how to sort them.  In the old days, everything was in one text box and I could just easily add them in the correct location.  That no longer works.

I can't just copy them all and sort in excel as needed either.

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Bryan123 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Bryan123 

As you know, SharePoint will not automatically order the choice selections and you need to sort them in excel, then paste the sorted choices again to choice column settings.

To do this follow below steps:

1. Go to your SharePoint list.
  2. Click on Settings (gear) icon from top right corner and select List settings.
  3. Scroll the page below to Columns section and select your choice column by clicking on column name.
  4. Copy everything from Type each choice on a separate line textbox.
  5. Paste it into Excel file --> sort the choices --> copy sorted choices and paste in Type each choice on a separate line textbox.
  6. Click OK to save column settings.

Additional ReferenceSorting Choices in Choice Field 

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 

Didn't think about doing it from the settings.  I was trying to do it from the list itself but editing the column. You use to be able to do it that way.

Thank you!

This method of placing items in alphabetical worked fantastic; thanks for the suggestion!

You're welcome @dmdanleaf 

Glad it helped you!

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap Does this remove the formatting (colors) of the choices?

@BeckyH13 If you have already created a choice column with all the choices from modern experience & just changing the sort order of choices from column settings (not adding any new choice option), color formatting will not be removed.

If you are adding any new choice from (classic experience) column settings page, that will not be considered in column/color formatting JSON. 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@BeckyH13 You're welcome! Glad it helped you.

Please consider giving a Like if my post helped you in any way.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bryan123 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Bryan123 

As you know, SharePoint will not automatically order the choice selections and you need to sort them in excel, then paste the sorted choices again to choice column settings.

To do this follow below steps:

1. Go to your SharePoint list.
  2. Click on Settings (gear) icon from top right corner and select List settings.
  3. Scroll the page below to Columns section and select your choice column by clicking on column name.
  4. Copy everything from Type each choice on a separate line textbox.
  5. Paste it into Excel file --> sort the choices --> copy sorted choices and paste in Type each choice on a separate line textbox.
  6. Click OK to save column settings.

Additional ReferenceSorting Choices in Choice Field 

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

View solution in original post