SP List Search All Columns

Iron Contributor

I have a SP list with approx. 10 columns. One of those columns Code contains numbers and is data type number.

Whenever I use the main SP search bar above the list to search for '123123' no results are found. This number does exist in the SP list column.

I have tried various numbers and none of them are found.

It seems like I am only seeing search results based on the default Title column.

Any ideas?

4 Replies

@jonboylib Try creating a managed property of your Number column, map it with respective crawled property, set it as "searchable" and then try searching using number column in list.

Follow:

1. Unable to get search results for number field in SharePoint Online list 
  2. Number or Currency unable to search value on this column SharePoint online 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap Thanks.

Is this really what I have to do in order to make a single column searchable using a SP list?! 

Would you have any instructions on how to 'create a managed property of your Number column, map it with respective crawled property, set it as "searchable"'?

It seems as if I need to be the administrator of the organisation.. which I'm not. So this would require me asking the administrators do make this change every time I want to make a number column searchable?

This seems extremely unnecessary.. shouldn't all columns be searchable by default?

@jonboylib Yes, you have to do it for number columns.

You do not need SharePoint tenant administrator permissions for this. If you have site collection administrator or full control access on site, it should work.

Follow links given in my above response. Also, check below documentations for more information:

1. Manage the search schema in SharePoint 
  2. Overview of crawled and managed properties in SharePoint 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap I can't get past the first instruction on that documentation,

1. Go to More features in the SharePoint admin center, and sign in with an account that has admin permissions for your organization

I get the following error.

Access Denied
[username] does not have permissions to access this resource.