SP List - number of lines for editing not working

Brass Contributor

I have a column set for multiple lines of text.  I have the number of lines for editing set to 10 yet only 4 lines are visible.  The box has the corner set to where you would think you could expand it but it doesn't work.

We enter a lot of data into that text box and it being stuck at just 4 lines is not very user friendly.  This is set for just plain text with no other column formatting listed

2020-07-16_10-45-34.png

5 Replies

This is happening for me too. Did anyone figure out how to fix this? All of my "Multiple Lines of Text" fields are showing only 4 lines in the edit form view despite what is in the "Number of Lines for Editing" field. I don't care how it displays in read-only or even on the list view... i just want a bigger box when i'm actually typing in the box on the form in edit mode. 

@hpoan if you want the mult-line box to be bigger when editing the form you can do this by customising the form with Power Apps. Click Power Apps in the top menu then select Customize form. After 30-40 seconds your form will open with your fields (or most of them if it is a big form, but you can add in the others). For each field you can change the width and height.

BTW, if you want to show all the lines in the list view then format the column with the following JSON:

{
  "$schema": "https://developer.microsoft.com/json-schemas/sp/column-formatting.schema.json",
  "elmType": "div",
  "txtContent": "@currentField",
  "style": {
    "white-space": "normal",
    "padding": "11px 0"
  }
}

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@RobElliottThanks for the quick response. I tried doing a custom form in Power Apps, spent hours making it just how I wanted it and I found it very buggy and slow to use in SharePoint so I deleted it. 

Just trying to use the out of the box functionality. According to the Microsoft site regarding the settings for a field that is Multiple Lines of text, it is supposed to do exactly what we are asking... make the box taller when editing. It just doesn't do that unfortunately. 

@hpoan that setting is a hangover from classic SharePoint/SharePoint 2010 and doesn't work with a modern experience edit form.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@RobElliott Thank you! That is good to know I'll stop trying to get it to work.