Something went wrong trying to create a new list based on an existing list

Copper Contributor

Hi. I'm trying to create a new list based on an existing list, but every time I try it, I get the error message that something went wrong and to try again later. I've checked some of the other help resources and the only possible error is in setting the list to not need content approval. That's set correctly, so I'm stuck.

3 Replies

@OaklandMike This issue can be due multiple reasons so to make sure we narrow down the issue first try the below steps and then once we have some unique traits we cans see what are the alternatives

1. Try creating a new list from an existing list which uses with common data types  such as single line of text, date, people picker. If you succeed with that then find our what are other type data type you are using there which might cause some error.

2. Let the issue is with the data types we need to resolve that first and then we need to see either manged metadata or some look column is causing this.

3. If any of the option is not working I can suggest the CREATION FROM LIST TEMPLATE and save the parent list as template and then create your destination list which is little bit more proven and seen more summers than the newer approach.

I will be eager to see what is the outcome. 

@Vikram_Samal 

I have a similar problem.  Customer of mine is editing a SharePoint site created by Teams.  He added a custom list under General.  All is working fine.  But he wants to add the same template or list to another Teams SharePoint site under General.  So he goes to create a list using from the good one he made and the error comes up "Something went wrong. Please try again later".  I don't know how to fix this.

@OaklandMike wish it said what is wrong, which column is need to be fixed. Just a blank "something went wrong" is not helping, because I have 220 columns!