Sites vs. Subsites

Copper Contributor

I work at a pharmacy and am looking for some guidance on the best way to setup my SharePoint.  I currently have 2 main sites Facility Visits and Facility Leads.  Under Facility Visits, I have all of our current nursing facility listed as subsites.  Within each nursing facility subsite, we utilize the OneNote for our on-site meetings and the documents feature to attach our meeting notes and important documents.

I am expanding our SharePoint to include new hub sites such as 'HR', 'eMAR' and 'IT'.  I think I understand setting those up as hub sites, but as far as the facilities, should I continue with them as is and not try to adjust to the "flat modern" look? I made the mistake of using ShareGate to convert all of them already and am wondering if this was an instance I wanted to keep subsites. 

For the our current facilities "Facility Visits", in addition to using the OneNote and documents tab, I created a document for each one that is a cheat sheet for our staff to use internally to refer to when they have a question entering in an order in our data entry systems. 

For our facilities leads, we use the same features, OneNote and the documents tab, but these facilities  would be different than facilities on the "Facility Visits" sub site.

With all of this being said, I wasn't sure if I am supposed to create a hub site called facilities and then associate each page to that? That is what I used Sharegate to use but then realized maybe I should use sub site here? 

Sorry if it ended up being too confusing, any advice is greatly appreciated. I would be happy to post some images of what the current setup was as I did not delete the sub sites.

Erick

1 Reply

@ErickMaxwell 

Hi, as a personal preference of mine, I don't like using sub-sites, but there really is no right or wrong method, and it is all down to finding what works best for you.  

Right now if I deploy a new SP Online Intranet, I tend to take the following approach.

1). Setup the landing page as a Communication Site and set it as the main hub site.

2). Set up Department Sites as Modern Team Sites and associate them with the hub site.

I do favour the flat modern look that you reference in your post, and also like to keep folders and sub-folders to a minimum.