Site permissions control

Brass Contributor

I am confused about the difference between the site permissions sidebar 

annetoal_0-1607035234766.png

and the advanced permissions settings page at 

https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/sitename/_layouts/15/user.aspx

It seems that changes made on the advanced permissions page don't necessarily show up in the site permissions sidebar. If you use the sidebar to put people into a site, are you not supposed to use the advanced settings? I made a custom group and moved a user into it. Now that user does not show up in the sidebar in any of the three groups: owner, member, or visitor. 

Another issue I've noticed is that if you use the advanced settings to remove a user from a group--say, visitors--he may still appear in the Site visitors in the permissions sidebar. Is that intentional? Or is it one of those changes that just takes time to propagate everywhere?

Thanks,

Anne

2 Replies
Hello annetoal,

Based on my expierience, the new UI regarding permissions is a bit more simplistic due to the fact that MS is trying to force Organizations to adopt the newly O365 office group connected sites, in which the managment of the users takes place in the Azure AD environment. That is why most of the functionality that one could see in a SP13 deployment is simplified in the online environment.

This also has to do with the transition of classic expierience to modern expierience. The UI has changed and both of the approaches might be incompatible.

Although, in order to answer your questions we would need a bit more info. Is the site o365 connected? was it in classic experience and was later on connected to an o365 group? Were the changes that you made in sharepoint reflected in the AAD environment, if the site was o365 connected?

@jimas_1966 Thank you for responding so quickly. The site is connected to O365. It was created as a Modern site--it was never a Classic site. I don't believe the changes I made in user permissions were reflected in the Azure Active Directory environment. The site was created from the New command on the SharePoint Home. 

Thanks

Anne