Show only recent entry from appended multi text field

Brass Contributor

Hi all-

I have spent a couple of hours looking, but haven't had luck yet.

I have a multi text field in a custom list and I'd like to show only the most recent entries (append entries) on modern pages rather than the standard "View Entries" link.

I found a script or two, but can't find the script editor web part and I also don't see the CEWP. I've even looked in classic experience. No luck...

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

5 Replies
Hi Arnie,
You can find the modern script editor in the below link. Also, the documentation of how to install the script editor to the modern sites and how to use it with screenshots.
https://github.com/SharePoint/sp-dev-fx-webparts/tree/master/samples/react-script-editor

Hi @Arnie_Howes you won't see the CEWP or Script Editor web parts as they have not been released on modern SharePoint. I suspect that, like my company, most won't allow the github method mentioned by @Sudharsan K. As far as I am aware there is currently no way to show the most recent appended item in replacement of the View Entries link.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User  

@RobElliott You could use flow to do it - we use workflow in SP2013 so we can see the most current comment when we export a list to excel that has an append style field. I think this would work with SPO and flow, but haven't tested it.

Create another multi line field call it something like 'last comment'. Hide it on your forms, make sure it isn't an append.

Use a flow to check to see if the actual field is empty or not. In SP2013 for a rich text field we tested to make sure the actual field wasn't <div></div>.

If it isn't empty, copy the field to your 'last comment'  field and use that column in your views. Hide it on the forms.

@Robin Nilsson yes you could have multiple columns for the comments (we do it for multiple approval comments for example) but the issue would be you would have to know how many comments you were going to get and then save each one to the relevant column via an action in the flow. Or it can be done with a Power Apps customized form. But as the question was specifically about the append that's why I answered the way I did.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

Thanks, all! The client decided to go another direction, but I am still going to pursue this as time allows because it's a trick I always wanted to figure out. Have a great week!