SOLVED

Show additional column in lookup field

Copper Contributor

Hello.

I have a list with a lookup field where I would like to show an additional column from it's source list when creating a new item. I'll try to illustrate the problem:

This is my main list. The highlighted field is a lookup.This is my main list. The highlighted field is a lookup.This is the source for the lookup.This is the source for the lookup.When creating a new item on my main list, I would like the data on the second column on the lookup source to appear here.When creating a new item on my main list, I would like the data on the second column on the lookup source to appear here.

Thank you in advance!

5 Replies

@WilliamAzevedo 

To achieve this you will have to navigate to the list settings where you are using the lookup column. In the list settings menu you can see all the columns you are using and you can click on them to go to the settings of the column, here you would have to navigate to the lookup column you are referring to.

When there you can scroll down a bit to the additional column settings and you can see all the columns from your original list. Just check the columns you would like to add and this should achieve what you are looking for.

lookup.png

Hi!

I've tried that, but the field is not listed. And I forgot to mention: that field which is not listed it's also a look up. May that be the problem?
best response confirmed by WilliamAzevedo (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@WilliamAzevedo You cannot extend (show as additional field) the lookup column in lookup settings. Only below column types are supported in lookups:

Supported Column Types

• Single line of text
  • Number
  • Date and Time

SourceCreate list relationships by using unique and lookup columns 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap , @WilliamAzevedo @Pol_Van_Dingenen 

A work around to this:
Create an additional column, type Calculated. Make it equal to Choice column to get the value. Set  The data type returned from this formula to "Single line of text".

Example:
If you have a column "Status" as a choice of the values "Not started", "In progress" and "Completed" you add a new Column "New Status" that point to the "Status" column:

MichaelDano_0-1676442648294.png

The New Status will be available in the lookup column in your other list.

Hi. I have the same issue. I think I need to use Power Apps.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by WilliamAzevedo (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@WilliamAzevedo You cannot extend (show as additional field) the lookup column in lookup settings. Only below column types are supported in lookups:

Supported Column Types

• Single line of text
  • Number
  • Date and Time

SourceCreate list relationships by using unique and lookup columns 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

View solution in original post