Should non-Office-working-files even go to SharePoint?

Brass Contributor

There seems to be not a good solution out there for SharePoint + Non-Office working files.

For example Photoshop or CAD formats cannot be opened from the browser and there is also no option to download them and open in the native application.

I could use the OneDrive-Sync client, but if a whole departments collaborates in big folder structures, this also fails and leads to sync-errors. Also metadata and other things do not work here... 

We are tempted to only migrate typical web files (pdf, jpg, mp4) and office documents to SharePoint and leave the rest on the network drive. 

This is a lot less frustrating for the employees, because those file formats are much better embedded in file explorer.

What is your opinion? 

6 Replies

By the way- this is what Chat GPT answers, when I post the question to it:

It's true that SharePoint and OneDrive may have limitations when it comes to working with non-Office files, such as Photoshop or CAD formats. While it's possible to upload these files to SharePoint, you may encounter issues when trying to open them in the browser or download them to the native application.

One solution you mentioned is using the OneDrive-Sync client, which can work well for individual files or small folder structures. However, as you noted, it may not be the best solution for larger departmental collaborations due to sync errors and metadata issues.

In terms of migrating only typical web files and Office documents to SharePoint and leaving the rest on the network drive, this could be a practical solution for your organization. By doing so, your employees can continue to work with those file formats in File Explorer, which may be more familiar and efficient for them. It may also reduce frustration and errors associated with trying to work with unsupported file types in SharePoint.

That being said, it's worth considering the benefits of having all files, including non-Office files, in a centralized location such as SharePoint. This can improve collaboration, version control, and access to files across the organization. If there are specific business needs or workflows that require the use of non-Office files, you may want to explore other options, such as third-party plugins or integrations that can improve the handling of those file types in SharePoint.

Ultimately, the decision to migrate only certain file types to SharePoint or to find a way to include all file types will depend on your organization's specific needs and priorities.

@David_Elsner 

Quite a decent response from ChatGPT. The increased security and compliance risks by storing corporate data on local machines is not mentioned. In my view this also needs to be taken into account.

There are apps that simplify management of non-Office files in SharePoint (example).

I've tried this solution in a test environment and it is working quite well: https://www.webdavsystem.com/sharepoint/
It lets you open/edit any kind of files directly from sharepoint

@Martin Coupal that looks interesting, but the video shows the classic SharePoint.. does this work also for modern teamsites?

I just dont get, why such an important feature is not integrated by Microsoft in Windows...